Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jofoster
Employee
Employee

MoM quick measure and Date Hierarchy

I am trying to use the MoM % increase quick measure.  I am counting distinct values of an item by month, and want to also plot the % increase of the previous month. The measure requires using the PowerBI Date Hierarchy, but the quick measure will not let me add  it?  What am I doing wrong?

here is my data:

PowerBiMoM1.PNG

and here is what I see when trying to add the month date Hierarchy. If i just add the Month, which it lets me do, I get an error saying I need to add the date Hierarchy.

PowerBIMoM2.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jofoster ,

You need to add the column of Month to the date field rather than just put month to it. The quick measure will calculate automatically based on  month.

3.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

NOt sure I understand. When I add the month, get the error that it requires the date hierarchy. But it will not let me add the data hierarchy?

Count of SubscriptionGUID MoM% =
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Deployments to Azure'[Month]),
    ERROR("Time intelligence quick measures can only be grouped or filtered by the Power BI-provided date hierarchy or primary date column."),
    VAR __PREV_MONTH =
        CALCULATE(
            DISTINCTCOUNT('Deployments to Azure'[SubscriptionGUID]),
            DATEADD('Deployments to Azure'[Month].[Date], -1, MONTH)
        )
    RETURN
        DIVIDE(
            DISTINCTCOUNT('Deployments to Azure'[SubscriptionGUID])
                - __PREV_MONTH,
            __PREV_MONTH
        )
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors