Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thhmez7
Helper III
Helper III

Mixed storage mode: Live connection + Direct Query

Hello all,

in a report which is based on Live connection to a SSAS Model, I'd like to add a table from SQL database in Direct Query Mode.

However in PBI Desktop when I click on "Make change to this model" or Get Data > SQL Server, it always shows the following picture in which I should select the SSAS data model that I already use.

thhmez7_1-1661164889262.png

However I can't select a table from a SQL database.

Also in Options "Discourage DQ connections" can't be selected. Maybe it has something to do with my permissions to use Direct Query? If yes how can it changed?

thhmez7_0-1661164631079.png

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thhmez7 ,

So far, Power BI provide three connection types to connect data source, they are Import, QirectQuery and Live Connect. Live Connect is used for ssas,aas and power bi dataset , and cannot combine with other connection types. but you can change Live Connect to Direct Query for as and power bi dataset.

For three connection types ,please read these documents: Power BI Connection Types: DirectQuery, Live, or Import? Tough Decision! - RADACAD , Using DirectQuery in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

For  change Live Connect to Direct Query, please read this document:  Using DirectQuery for datasets and Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thhmez7 ,

So far, Power BI provide three connection types to connect data source, they are Import, QirectQuery and Live Connect. Live Connect is used for ssas,aas and power bi dataset , and cannot combine with other connection types. but you can change Live Connect to Direct Query for as and power bi dataset.

For three connection types ,please read these documents: Power BI Connection Types: DirectQuery, Live, or Import? Tough Decision! - RADACAD , Using DirectQuery in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs 

For  change Live Connect to Direct Query, please read this document:  Using DirectQuery for datasets and Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@thhmez7 , I doubt you can have a live + direct query. You need to have both as direct query connection

Actually this scenario live + dq has worked for me before.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.