Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StephenGW
Helper II
Helper II

Mixed data type results in infinity

All,

I have some data with some mixed data types. A column that is primarily a number but some of the numbers are like 03E5642 and that is trned into infinity. If I chage it to text data type it just shows the infinity symbol. Any ideas how I can change this to show the data as it is entered?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@StephenGW 

Ok. What transformation steps have you applied to this table? Has the original data been converted to number, then to text, without overwriting the number change step? How does this field look when you select the source or navigation steps - are the infinity symbols already there?

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @StephenGW ,

It sounds like you're trying to change the data type in the Desktop report view. If so, then you're not actually changing the data type, just the display format of the underlying data. As the underlying data is passed to the data model as number type, then the underlying data will continue to show 'infinity' and this can't be overridden by changing the display format.

You need to change the data type of your field to Text in Power Query. This should then pass through to the Desktop report view correctly.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@BA_Pete 

No I am trying to change it in the Power Query. At least I think I am.

StephenGW_0-1627312393835.png

@StephenGW 

Ok. What transformation steps have you applied to this table? Has the original data been converted to number, then to text, without overwriting the number change step? How does this field look when you select the source or navigation steps - are the infinity symbols already there?

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@BA_Pete 

Ahh there it is. In the Navigaton step it is showing as Any type and showing the numbers correctly. I removed the Change change of data type steps and re-did them. Everything is good now!

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.