Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Missing value after sort by column

Hello,

My table contains the value and I added 4 more items with formula using - Var .... Return Switch (4 items I want to put), because otherwise 4 calculated formula won't show up in the table. The original table with 4 items show the whole value perfectly, although the sequence has changed. After I changed the item order by index using 'sort by column' the 4 items are missing. Is there anyone who had a same issue? Thank you.

Best regards,

Sichang

4 REPLIES 4
Jason6
Helper I
Helper I

https://www.sqlbi.com/daxpuzzle/unexpected-filter-behavior-in-calculate/solution/ 

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2015/12/15/power-bi-desktop-sort-by-column-and-dax-calculations-that-us...

This is the solution for measure values becoming blank or incorrect when we sort a column by another column

To fix the issue we need to include all(column name which is used to sort by)

So if Column A is sorted by Column B, 

Our measure should include 

calculate( expresession, filter criteria, all(ColumnB))

Hope this helps someone 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Were you ever able to resolve this? Same thing's happening to me. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I attached the screen shot below. I sorted the item - 1 by index column to make the right sequence.

But after sort by column, 4 items don't show the value anymore (these 4 items are formula: ROCE, EBITDA%, CM1%, Spec.CM1). I think it's because of the new measure I make: Item 1 - Act. I make a variable Item1new and return switch to present calculated item. (the calculated 4 items are not part of the original item - 1 so that's why I tried out in this way.)

Basically, the table is working before sort by column, but after sorting the item - 1, Item 1 - Act doesn't show the value for the calculated results.

It would be great if you can give me another approach or fix my formula. Thank you.example.PNG

Best regards,

Si Chang

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Can you please explain with an example. If possible please share a sample pbix file after removing sensitive information.
Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.