Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Missing dates with one criteria.

Hello community,

I didn't found a similar topic in this forum to help me so I'm creating this one.

I'm new to powerquery and I'm struggling with fusion and jointure types to find and fill missing dates.

Here is the structure of my query (I've simplified the thing so you can see it's a table and not a query for the moment):

Ihave.PNG

For each name I need the full range of dates betwen the 14 and the 24/01/2016. 

I need something like this:

IWANT.PNG

I tried different combinaisons of fusion and joiture type with a table containing all dates but I'm missing something...

Someone has an idea?

Thank you ver much for your help

Rgds.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ChandeepChhabra
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Created a solution with some dummy data similar to yours. 

Does this work for you?

Capture.PNG

All dates (from 21st to 26th for all names)

You can download the excel file (power query solution) here

Hope it helps

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ChandeepChhabra
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Created a solution with some dummy data similar to yours. 

Does this work for you?

Capture.PNG

All dates (from 21st to 26th for all names)

You can download the excel file (power query solution) here

Hope it helps

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah that's it! I'm digging into you query to understand the thing but the final result is here.

Thank you very much 🙂

@Anonymous You are welcome 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Successfuly updated to my case, thank you very much.

@Anonymous Thanks. That's great

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous can you explaing the reasonw why you want to fill missing dates. Usually you have calendar/date table in your model which has all the dates and get used for any kind of time intelligence calculations, and can be used for missing dates. 

It will be good to know what the end goal is and there might be other solution to achieve the goal.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @parry2k,

First of all thank you.

Here is the thing, I use the query as an input for a pivot table and forecast calculations. Missing dates are creating discontinuities in my graph when I sum up them all.

I created a macro and it was working well but since I use powerquery to update my datas I need something more convenient .

I know that in pivotable table you can replace missing datas with a value but the thing is that I need to have no discontinuities in the timeline for my forecasts.

I hope it's clear...

@Anonymous as mentioned date table in your model is exactly helps you to achieve this without adding missing dates in your table.

Here are the steps:

- add Calendar table in your model (there are many posts on how to create/add Calendar table)

- join your transaction table with Calendar table

- use date from Calendar on x-axis

- choose option to show "show with no data"

if you run into any issue on above step, feel free to reach out.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep I tried this already but it seems to work when you have only one name for example. As I have many names powerBi has to understand that for each name no date is mssing (kind of loop I guess?)

@Anonymous not sure what you mean by one name. Can you share more details and how you are doing it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

By name I mean the column "Name" in my example. If you have only name "A" then it works to merge this table with the date table. As I have name "A" and "B" and so on then the query has to cmpare all dates from names "A" & "B" to all dates in the dates table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.