Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jholl016

Missing data when querying Log Analytics

When I query my Log Analytics workspace, the returned results are missing "windows" of data at various locations in the results table.  Here is my kusto query in LA:

Event 
| where EventLog == "Talon"
| search EventData contains ":Filename=TafsMtPt:"
| parse RenderedDescription with "Result=" Result ":error=" Error ":Peer=" Peer ":Direction=" Direction ":Mode=" Mode ":Filename=TafsMtPt:" Filename ":File Size=" FileSize ":Bytes Exchanged=" BytesExchanged ":Transfer Efficiency=" TransferEfficiency ":SID=" UserSID
| project Computer, Result, Error, Peer, Direction, Mode, Filename, FileSize, BytesExchanged, TransferEfficiency, UserSID, TimeGenerated, EventLevelName
| project-rename EventTime = TimeGenerated, LogType = EventLevelName
| where Filename !contains "-temp." and Filename !contains "desktop.ini" and Filename !contains "~$" and Filename !contains ".tmp" and Filename !endswith "_placeholder_"

When I run this query in the Azure portal, I get complete results, with no missing data.  Visualizing the results in a Log Analytics workspace summary by counting the number of events in hourly bins, you see spikes in the number of events for each weekday.

LA_WorkspaceSummary.png

But when I export the kusto query to M Query for Power BI, the resultant data set is missing a significant amount of data.  Two of the weekday peaks are missing entirely.

PowerBI_Results.png

I am using the latest edition of Power BI desktop.  What on earth is going on here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jholl016

I resolved this. My missing data was due to a results table that violated the 64,000,000 bytes maximum enforced by the Log Analytics API.  I will have to re-architect my queries with this limitation in mind.  The Log Analytics API limitations are documented here:

https://dev.loganalytics.io/documentation/Using-the-API/Limits

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jholl016

I resolved this. My missing data was due to a results table that violated the 64,000,000 bytes maximum enforced by the Log Analytics API.  I will have to re-architect my queries with this limitation in mind.  The Log Analytics API limitations are documented here:

https://dev.loganalytics.io/documentation/Using-the-API/Limits

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jholl016 ,

Based on my test, I cannot reproduce your issue here. I recommend you to create a support ticket for help if you are a pro user.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Support Ticket.gif

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.