Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alicia_Anderson
Resolver I
Resolver I

Missing Trend Line and Forecast options in Analytics

I have the latest version of Power BI Desktop installed:  Version: 2.65.5313.1381 64-bit (December 2018).   I am working on a line and clustered column chart but Trend Line and Forecast options are not shown.  I only see:  Constanct Line, Min Lin, Max Line, Average Line, Median Line and Percentile Line.   

21 REPLIES 21
akchandarana

Was helping a colleague with this and we couldn't get Trend Line to appear in their simple scatter plot of OT $Dollars vs. Hours with the points plotted being the 12 months of a year.  Tried the suggestion of making it a Full Date instead of the Months, but that didn't work.  I finally got the Trend Line option to appear in the Analytics pane after removing the $Dollars they had put on the Size.

matiasdaniel

Hey,

I solved this problem by using a full date column on the x-axis (not month, noth year/month etc.). Make sure your date table is marked as a date table if you have one. Plese nothe, that the tendline can only be used on visuals listed below.

gdemelol

You wanna make sure that your X-axis type selected is "continuous". That fixes the problem for the Line chart.

fernandomoraes

I'm facing the same problem. Can't solve it. I've tried many solutions (date, hierarchy and so on). Same graphs appears, some not. I didn't find a explicity documentation about that. 

wbhite
Helper I
Helper I

I can confirm that the Forecast and Trend options are missing for all visuals in the March 2019 update.

Effi

Any update on this?

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Alicia_Anderson,

Do you have a date field on the Axis? Forecast will only appear when using a date there.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having a similar issue, but I think it's because my dates are weekly, not daily.  The trend line is in the analysis bar for me to create, but it's now showing up.  Wondering if it's because of the gaps in my dates.  We only track this thing once a week.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the comment. I change the axis value to date Hierarchy, expand to the timeline I need, and the Trend Line option appears!

Thank you,

Hi @Alicia_Anderson,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

The X axis displays a Sprint, which equates to a 2 week period.  I don't want the X axis to be a date, but I changed it to one to see if the Trend and Forecast options displayed but it still did not.     

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue.  I'm using a Line chart and my X-Axis has fiscal weeks (WK01, WK02, ...) and would like to keep it that way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having the same issue as well using line chart with date (month) in axis and values as values.  Is this a bug?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Sometimes that is caused by not having enough points.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I saw the Trend line and Forcast options when I drilled down on the graph.

This is what I see.

Missing Trend.PNG

In the Line Graph depicted by @Alicia_Anderson , three values are being displayed (3 lines). The Trend line will only be available if you have a single line depicted in the graph. Otherwise, the Trend algorithm does not know which of the three to use in showing trend or how you might want to combine the existing three lines to show trend (sum, average, ??). The visualization is currently limited to showing trend for a single line.

Anonymous
Not applicable

gotcha.  I did have just one line, but I had a filter on the date when I removed it, voila, trend line is back.  thought it was kind of weird, but I'll just chalk it up to 'I can keep going' and keep going 🙂

Not all dynamic lines are available for all visualizations. Check this for the limitations:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-analytics-pane#limitations

Regards,

Tarun

I understand that.  I already read that page.    I am having the same issue with cluster column chart and line chart.   

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.