Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AJ_Clark
Resolver I
Resolver I

Missing Suburb Data Plots on Map Visual where data exists and can be found on Bing / Here

I'm having issues with certain Western Australian Suburbs showing on the map visualisation and I was hoping that someone would know a work around to get it functioning. 

One of the affected suburbs is Baldivis. If I enter the suburb, postcode and state into Bing maps, the suburb is located perfectly fine, as is the case with Here Maps - Baldivis, 6171, Western Australia. 

Baldivis - Bing

When this location is added to the map visualisation, it simply does not plot. The data is loaded fine as I can see it when I right click, see data: 

JxrRpNQ

As you can see above, other areas are working fine, the 'type' of data is set correctly, but I'm stumped as to why Baldivis and a number  of other suburbs wont plot in PowerBI when they are found easily on Bing / Here. 

Any thoughts? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply @ankitpatira but unfortunately we have many suburbs within a single postcode so that approach wouldn't be what we're after. 

I actually solved the issue though, by changing the modelling type to place the missing suburbs have now appeared. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@AJ_Clark What I would suggest you do is breakdown Suburb State Postcode column into three seperate columns and then under Data Category define those columns correctly ie postcode column as Postcal code, state column as State and suburb column as Address data category. Once done you can use postcode column under Location field of Map and it will show correctly as shown below.

Capture.PNG

Thanks for the reply @ankitpatira but unfortunately we have many suburbs within a single postcode so that approach wouldn't be what we're after. 

I actually solved the issue though, by changing the modelling type to place the missing suburbs have now appeared. 

I agree that using place I can get a suburb in WA to work fine with a standard map. I am using using Place and have combined the Suburb, State and Country into a field and used Place and it is all fine. What I can not get working though is the filled map. Have you found any way to get a filled map to work with WA suburb data?

I had my may ploting correctly, but dots starts appearing in US instead of Australia over night.

does anyone have the same problem? the data hasnt changed over night.

@FuhaiLiuCan you post some sample data that you're using to plot? What 'Type' do you have it defined as? Are you using the standard map or the arcGIS maps?

Hi AJ, 

I am using the arcGIS. the location type was under city, and up till this morning everything works fine. 

Now, I see a few values show in the US. 

I've never had much luck with arcGIS. However, you can force it to show only vlaues for an individual country, but it's always had fewer values than the standard map tool for my data sets. 

Edit > Location Type > Locations are in one country> Australia

well, the data format is

Suburb Name, State,Australia

I thought this would be pretty high accuracy level for a location, but the map pointed to US or UK as soon as the Suburb names are availabe from either the country instead of Australia. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.