Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

river-phillips
Frequent Visitor

Missing Pages/Tabs in Auto-Recovered or Temp Save Files

Hi all,

I failed to save my .pbix file last night. I didn't close the app, but noticed the app was completely closed after re-opening the laptop. I didn't worry because I thought auto-recovery would take care of this.

Well, I clicked the auto-recovered file, and after opening, it failed to display any pages whatsoever. The data sources and queries were all intact. But the newly added pages I made (or any existing ones for that matter) weren't showing. All that showed was the default, blank "Page 1" tab. The document was also titled "Untitled" but I believe that has less to do with the issue.

Frustrated, I opened 

C:\Users\...\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\TempSaves

and found a temp save file from last night (yay!). I opened it and the newly added pages I created showed for just a second, then quickly disappeared! All that remained was that default "Page 1" tab. To make matters worse, I closed this temp save file and went back to the folder (above) to re-open it, but the recent temp save file was gone!

It's almost as if BI was aware of these new pages/visuals I created, then a bug wiped them or chose to completely hide them. Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, how did you recover the newly added pages or visuals? Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks,

RP

3 REPLIES 3
MatjoCol
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

I had the same problem and I am using Version: 2.84.981.0 64-bit (August 2020)

I managed to solve it by going to:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\TempSaves

In that folder I found the recovery file with a $ in front of it and the appropriate save time. I checked the files in the archive using a zip program and in report/Layout I could see that my tabs were there. 

I copied the file to another directory renamed it and opened it as normal with Power BI. That way all the tabs were recovered but not when I tried to use the autorecovery from within Power BI Desktop. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This works for me as well. I guess this issue is related to the latest update.

Many thanks,

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @river-phillips ,

If there is no newly added pages in your  auto-recovered file in C:UsersprathyAppDataLocalMicrosoftPowerBI DesktopTempSaves, it means you have lost them.

Please report this as an Issue using issues.powerbi.com.  first check to see if it has already been reported. Please try to reduce auto recovery time to prevent such a situation:

Capture1.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.