Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DaHolla
Frequent Visitor

Missing Hierarchies

Can someone explain why my hierarchies in Power BI Desktop show up, but they disappear when connecting to the same dataset via Excel?

DaHolla_0-1626215663726.png

DaHolla_1-1626215713484.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @DaHolla ,

I know it doesn't work for direct query for sure. In composite mode it might be that technically it won't work in general even if the table with the hierarchy is in import mode.

You could try to do the same in import mode for the whole model. If it works, we know that for composite model the behavior in Excel is similar to direct query.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @DaHolla ,

I guess you are using direct query?

In direct query the hierarchies are not supported in Excel. If you switch to import mode they should appear also in Excel.

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Hello @selimovd,

Thank you for the quick reply!

The dataset uses some direct query tables that utilize aggregate tables, the OrderMethod table is a dual table. Other tables in the dataset, which are import, also do not have their hierarchies show up in Excel.

Hey @DaHolla ,

I know it doesn't work for direct query for sure. In composite mode it might be that technically it won't work in general even if the table with the hierarchy is in import mode.

You could try to do the same in import mode for the whole model. If it works, we know that for composite model the behavior in Excel is similar to direct query.

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.