cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jasonwhurley Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Minimum credentials on SQL Server to connect via Power BI Desktop

I would like to create a user on SQL Server with minimal permissions (ideally Read Only) that can then be used to log in via Power BI Desktop.  My *.pbix file connects to a database View via DirectQuery.

I have one User that is a "sysadmin" under the Server Role and that works.  But, that's too many permissions.

I created a new User and gave it Login Properties > Server Role = "public", then went into the database I need and gave it Membership > db_datareader.  I thought this would work, but it doesn't.  I get the "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. Please try again" error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular Visitor

Re: Minimum credentials on SQL Server to connect via Power BI Desktop

This was a weird one, but thankfully someone at DBA.StackExchange gave the simple answer which solved it.

The solution was to use a brand new username and start from scratch.  Previously I was using a Username which we use in other places and it must have had some other associations with it.  But, when I used a new Username, it immediately worked as expected!

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @jasonwhurley,

Your issue seems more related to setting user permission on database, I'd like to suggest your post this to Sql server related forum for better support.

Msdn forums - SQL Server - Microsoft

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin Sheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

For learning resources/Release notes, please visit: | |
Regular Visitor

This was a weird one, but thankfully someone at DBA.StackExchange gave the simple answer which solved it.

The solution was to use a brand new username and start from scratch.  Previously I was using a Username which we use in other places and it must have had some other associations with it.  But, when I used a new Username, it immediately worked as expected!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

We spoke with Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, about his charity work

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 273 members 2,991 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: