Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

I_LOVE_POWER_BI
Helper III
Helper III

Min filtered value versus Max filtered value

Dear community, Another super easy question I believe from my side:

So, I have a (fake) report in which I filter two ingredients in order to compare them with each other value-wise.

E.g. I choose Milk A and choose Milk Z - now both ingredients have a price. I want to calculate the price deviation based on my selection. MIN minus MAX based on the selection would do the job, but like this my result value would always have the same prefix, which could cause confusion. 

But what I am looking for is: Based on my selection it shall always calculate the first value (MIN based on a string [MILK A]) vs. the last value (MAX based on a string [MILK Z]). I don't want it to calcualte based on MIN or MAX price of the different ingredients but on the first vs. last selected value based on the string sort order. And there are a lot of filter value is, so I cannot directly filter based on MILK A or MILK Z - therefore the MIN/MAX idea.... 

Hope my point is clear, thanks a lot!!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @I_LOVE_POWER_BI ,

To my knowledge, we are unable to get the order of the selected values in slicer.

I tried MIN() and MAX() for selections ,but it always be the minumum value and then the maximum that regardless of order:

regardless of order.gif

In this case, if you do need to calculate the difference based on the selection order in slicer, I suggest you create a new table for the second slicer.

Second Slicer = VALUES('Table'[Ingredients ]) 

Then use the following formula to create measure:

Measure 2 = MIN('Table'[Price])- MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Ingredients ]=MAX('Second Slicer'[Ingredients ])),[Price])  

The final output is shown below:

differences.jpg

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

I_LOVE_POWER_BI
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks guys for your responses. In between I found a very nice article about it, especially the update posted in the bottom of the article, which solved my issue: 

DAX – Calculating the difference between 2 selections on a Slicer - Reporting/Analytics Made easy wi...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
I_LOVE_POWER_BI
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks guys for your responses. In between I found a very nice article about it, especially the update posted in the bottom of the article, which solved my issue: 

DAX – Calculating the difference between 2 selections on a Slicer - Reporting/Analytics Made easy wi...

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @I_LOVE_POWER_BI ,

To my knowledge, we are unable to get the order of the selected values in slicer.

I tried MIN() and MAX() for selections ,but it always be the minumum value and then the maximum that regardless of order:

regardless of order.gif

In this case, if you do need to calculate the difference based on the selection order in slicer, I suggest you create a new table for the second slicer.

Second Slicer = VALUES('Table'[Ingredients ]) 

Then use the following formula to create measure:

Measure 2 = MIN('Table'[Price])- MAXX(FILTER(ALL('Table'),'Table'[Ingredients ]=MAX('Second Slicer'[Ingredients ])),[Price])  

The final output is shown below:

differences.jpg

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@I_LOVE_POWER_BI , Based on what I got try a measure like

measure =
var _max = maxx(allselected(ingredients), ingredients[ingredients])
var _min = minx(allselected(ingredients), ingredients[ingredients])
return
calculate(Average(Table[price]), filter(ingredients, ingredients[ingredients] =_max)) -calculate(Average(Table[price]), filter(ingredients, ingredients[ingredients] =_min))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.