Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Min/Max Avaerage column chart

Hello All, 

I am trying to create a min, max, and average column chart; I have seen an existing solution using stock charts for the min/max but that requires the use of dates.  I am trying to create a visual shown below; that uses categories along the x-axis.

I have tried a box-whisker plot also, but it is not entirely relevant based on my data-set. 

Thanks.

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous

See the pbix file here containing the chart with your sample data

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

You'd better post your sample data and desired result, so that we can share detailed solution which is close to your requirement. It's really hard to reproduce your scenario without sample data.

Thanks,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  @v-huizhn-msft

Apologies, I have attached the sample data.  The idea is the minimum value will stem from the relevant minimum value within the category, rather than the minimum of the entire data set. 

OneDrive Link

Thanks.

Hi @Anonymous

Try "Line and stacked column chart"

Put the Min and Max in Column values

Put the average in Line Values

Uncolor the Min Column

91.png

Regards
Zubair

@Anonymous

See the pbix file here containing the chart with your sample data

Regards
Zubair

This is a poor solution, as the shaded area representing the range between min and max does not align correctly on the Y-axis. The stacked chart causes the top of the shaded area to be the sum of min + max instead of just showing the max. This is such a common visualization, I can't believe there isn't a supported way to do this.

@Anonymous

I only know this technique.

Hopefully someone will point out a better solution

Regards
Zubair

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect!  It makes sense; Thank you for your efforts. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is what I am using currently, like abusing the stacked and line chart, but it is a not really a "true" representation, correct?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.