Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ptown
Helper I
Helper I

Mimic Excel SUMIFS functionality to create a pipeline table (phases, sectors, actuals & targets)

Hi,

I'm struggling to recreate some functionality that I have in Excel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm creating a monthly pipeline report that shows how opportunities are progressing through a sales process. So far I have successfully manipulated my source data in Power BI to the point where I can get almost all the information and graphs that I need.

The only thing remaining is to create a table that summarises the value of projects, split by sector, that have passed through each phase in a given month. And also the target values.

------

The current format I have got to, is a list of opportunities which have the following info:

Opportunity IDTarget or actual?ValueSectorPhase 1Phase 2Phase 3
Opp-001Actual£101.00SEC-AYESYESYES
Opp-002Actual£102.00SEC-B YES 
Opp-003Actual£103.00SEC-B   

...and so on.

---

The output that I desire is a table that shows the value that has passed through each phase this month, split into sectors. Anbd also the targets for each phase and sector. (The target data is already in the same input table).

Like this:

PhaseTarget or actual?SEC-ASEC-BSEC-CSEC-D
Phase 1Target1000110012001300
Phase 1Actual547104230118
Phase 2Target2000210022002300
Phase 2Actual316326343110
Phase 3Target3000310032003300
Phase 3Actual1010224107

As you can see in the linked Excel file, I have created the exact output that I require using a SUMIFS with 3 sets of criteria.

I would like to remove this manual step using Excel  and would greatly appreciate any assistance. I've tried searching for how to mimic SUMIFS functionality but I haven't understood enough to be able to apply it to my case.

Thank you

Excel File Link:             https://1drv.ms/x/s!AtJBzwB0OS_Qgzir0Ktk8KgkbQmy?e=3RBgsT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Ptown see the attached solution, main point is to unpivot the data in power query and then it is easy to visualize

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Ptown see the attached solution, main point is to unpivot the data in power query and then it is easy to visualize

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi parry2k,

That's great, thank you very much. 

P

-------

Note: I was only able to open the file on my personal laptop. On my work machine (which has Version: 2.75.5649.861 64-bit (November 2019)) I get the following error. But not a big deal. Thanks again!

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)
Error Message:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.PackageValidationResult.Merge(PackageValidationResult original, PackageValidationResult content)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.ReportFactory.CreateReportFromPowerBIPackage(IPowerBIPackage powerBIPackage, String pbixFilePath, Byte[] securityBindings, Boolean requiresConversionToReportLayout, PowerBIPackageOpenOptions options, IPowerBITelemetryService powerBITelemetryService, IAnalysisServicesService analysisServices, Version pbixFileVersion, PackageValidationResult& mashupValidationResult)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.PowerBIPackagingService.Open(FileStream fileStream, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, Nullable`1 entryPoint, PowerBIPackageOpenOptions options, ReportPreparerResult& prepareResult)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.<LoadFromPbix>d__20.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.<>c__DisplayClass15_0`1.<<BlockUIAndRun>b__0>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.OpenFile(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPbixFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<Main>b__1()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
Stack Trace Message:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.