Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Migrating existing SSRS Reports to Power BI

Hi,

We have few on-premise .NET based application which are having SSRS used for reporting purpose.

Now we are working on moving on-premise applications to PaaS option keeping SSRS hosted on Azure VM only to utilize the existing reports as-is with minimal changes. But at the same time we want to provide details around what we need to move away from Azure VM also. If we go with building Power BI reports from scratch then that will be little more effort so we want to provide some quick way. What are the options available to avoid using SSRS on Azure VM and using some PaaS friendly component.

Thanks

Sanjay

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous If I understand correctly, you could use Power BI Premium which supports SSRS reports hosted in the Service.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

hi @Anonymous - you can refer to the below video and the subsequent 2 videos in the series for the usage of parameters in Paginated report : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7WaK88kheA&list=PL1N57mwBHtN1icIhpjQOaRL8r9G-wytpT&index=11

You may need to setup the parameters again in the paginated report if it did not carry through in the .rdl file.

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @Anonymous - Find the detailed Microsoft documentation on migrating SSRS reports to Power BI

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/migrate-ssrs-reports-to-power-bi

Keep in mind that you need to have a Premium licence to use Power BI Paginated reports. 

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks both @Sumanth_23 and @Greg_Deckler for quick feedback.

We have Power BI premium license.  From the link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/migrate-ssrs-reports-to-power-bi, I am following manual steps for migration since I have 4,5 reports to migrate. I have installed Power BI Report Builder and have Premium workspace also ready to save the reports into it. When I opened .RDL files in Builder, Dataset settings are messed-up so will work on it and see how I can solve this problem. If i come across any issues will post here.

DO I need to bother if my existing .RDL report works on some inputs feed-in to SQL Procedures excuted behind the scene, then How I can pass those parameters to the report from Power BI.

hi @Anonymous - you can refer to the below video and the subsequent 2 videos in the series for the usage of parameters in Paginated report : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7WaK88kheA&list=PL1N57mwBHtN1icIhpjQOaRL8r9G-wytpT&index=11

You may need to setup the parameters again in the paginated report if it did not carry through in the .rdl file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Now I have successfully migrated the .RDL files to Power BI Service. And I can see the reports properly on Power BI App when I provide the proper input parameters.

Now I want to use these reports in existing ASP.NEt Solutions. Any support on this perspective would be helpful.

hi @Anonymous - That is great! Once the reports are published do you see the share option on the report - you can see if you have the option to generate the embed code for the report. 

I have not personally tried this so am not too sure of the exact steps involved; you can refer to the below links and see if they have the info you are looking for: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embed-sample-for-your-organization

https://www.codemag.com/Article/1905061/Creating-Embedded-Reports-in-Your-Web-Apps-with-Power-BI-Embedded

Sumanth_23_0-1601321387333.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again.

I explored further and successfully embedded the paginated report in my ASP.NET page. I was able to hide the parameter panel also and then passed the parameters through query string to Report URL.

Now the only thing which I want to check if we can hide this panel and remove pagination and show all report pages in single view one after another as we open normal PDF.

nipanesanjay_0-1601389438222.png

hi @Anonymous - That was pretty quick! 🙂

From what I have seen I do not think there is an option to load all pages without pagination in Power BI paginated reports - there is also a performance aspect that Power BI renders the first page for preview as soon as possible without actually evaluating how many pages the report has - you can refer to the below link for details on the same 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports/paginated-reports-quickstart-aw#run-the-report

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous If I understand correctly, you could use Power BI Premium which supports SSRS reports hosted in the Service.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.