Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dapster105
Advocate III
Advocate III

Migrate existing report to shared dataset

Hi all,

I have a very large report (40+ pages) with lots of visualisations and an associated dataset created in Desktop and published to Service.

Before I knew about the ability to share datasets, I created a second report as a copy (pbix Save As) of the first.

The dataset for both are identical, though obviously the second report has had some visual modifications.

Is there any way I can change/migrate the second report to point to the published dataset of the first report, instead of maintaining its own duplicate dataset? Do I really have to recreate the entire 40 page report from scratch?

If I want to create a third report based on the dataset of the first, do I really have to start from a blank page or is there I way I can copy/branch just the report part so it's left referencing the original dataset?

Thanks for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dapster105,

1. I'm afraid you need to do it manually if the reports base on different datasets. I would suggest you vote up this idea.

2. You can create a third report based on other reports by "save as" the report.

Migrate_existing_report_to_shared_dataset

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Dale,

But as far as I'm aware Save As will always create a duplicate dataset, is that correct? So the only way to build on an existing, shared dataset is to start from scratch?

Hi @dapster105,

No, it won't create a duplicate dataset. As we can see from the snapshot, I got a new report "Save As New Report" with the dataset "daily_test". There is also no new dataset "Save As New Report" created.

Migrate_existing_report_to_shared_dataset2

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.