Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mtozero
Helper I
Helper I

Microsoft power bi desktop vs power bi desktop

What is the difference between Microsoft power bi desktop vs power bi desktop? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mehaboob557
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi  @Mtozero,

Easy to see the confusion caused by the similarities in naming.

1. There is a windows store app that could be considered a 'tablet' app - one that is primarily a "viewer" app. - that is the "Microsoft Power BI" app in the store.

2. Then, in the last couple of months, they have added a full desktop installer version in the app store that does keep your local copy up-to-date. - It's named "Power BI Desktop" in the store.

3. Finally, the version of the desktop app downloaded from powerbi.com is named "Microsoft Power BI Desktop" or "Microsoft Power BI Desktop (x64)"  - this one is the one that is not in the automatic update push from the windows store.

Hope this gave you full clarity.

Regards,

Mehbub

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
musicbydannyd
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hi all. Happened upon this thread (was going to post a message with same title) and am looking for help.

Apparently, I have both "Microsoft Power BI Desktop" (store) & "Power BI Desktop" (.msi) versions installed on my workstation, because... when browsing pbix files, I have the option to open with (right-click file-->open with) both versions. I discovered this when troubleshooting a sign-in issue (msi version threw firewall error).

Was hoping to uninstall the msi version, but Control Panel-->Programs and Features only lists "Microsoft Power BI Desktop (x64)". Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, DD

mehaboob557
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi  @Mtozero,

Easy to see the confusion caused by the similarities in naming.

1. There is a windows store app that could be considered a 'tablet' app - one that is primarily a "viewer" app. - that is the "Microsoft Power BI" app in the store.

2. Then, in the last couple of months, they have added a full desktop installer version in the app store that does keep your local copy up-to-date. - It's named "Power BI Desktop" in the store.

3. Finally, the version of the desktop app downloaded from powerbi.com is named "Microsoft Power BI Desktop" or "Microsoft Power BI Desktop (x64)"  - this one is the one that is not in the automatic update push from the windows store.

Hope this gave you full clarity.

Regards,

Mehbub

Hi mate, I have a question which I just realised right now. Using Power Bi desktop(Microsoft Store) I m able to add change my view as shown in the picture below. However, I m not able to have the same view if I download the Microsoft power BI straight from the Microsoft website. Is there any way to achieve the same view?

Power BI from microsoft Store:
Power BI Desktop.png
Microsoft Power BI desktop downloaded from the microsoft website:
Microsoft Power BI Desktop.png

Hi!

It is something related to features overview. You can read more at this link: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/es-es/blog/on-object-public-preview-opt-in/

Anyway, if you want to change it, you can do it in the settings panel:

mlsx4_0-1687856444508.png

You just need to check/uncheck this field (File > Options and settings > Options > Preview Features > On-object interaction)

mlsx4_1-1687856444712.png

And then, you will have both the same.

Hi there mehaboob557,

I have installed the store version alongside with my "older" installer version. And I experienced that my old pbix files are somewhat empty when I open them in the store version.

Are there any differences between the two versions, because there really shouldn't be any?

Kind regards

Christian

Is there anyone who experienced the same?

I am still thinking about which version to use in the future and I do not want to have aold PBIX files that will not work with either one of them.

Kind regards

Christian

Great explanation, @mehaboob557!

For anyone who has installed the Windows app version, the next step is to change default apps. 

Windows Key> Settings> Apps> Default Apps> Choose default apps by file type

.pbix

.pbit

Change to Power BI Desktop. 

I know if I haven't done this if I see a prompt to update the desktop app when opening a file.

Fred 

Fred,

what is the difference between pbix and pbit. Why do we need to change it?.  I think the power BI desktop from the App store has the pre-requisite as the OS should be windows 10.

You only want to change it if you have the Windows Store app. Otherwise, you'll have to keep updating the other version.

.pbix is the usual desktop file, and .pbit is a template with parameters that are updated when opening the file.

Thanks for the clarification Mehaboob557.

So the Power BI desktop installed from the App store will get automatically updated with the latest service release features irrespective of you have the admin permission or not. Is my understanding correct?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.