Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft Graph: Access to the resource is forbidden.

I'm wondering if there have been potentially any changes to Microsoft Graph's ability to be queried via the user login auth flow.

I've got clients using Microsoft Graph in their Power BI reports, and it's fairly simple to use that data. You can use an OData feed or the Web connector, and you authenticate with an Organizational Account. These same reports have been using Graph with no issue for quite some time, and this is occuring across multiple AAD tenancies, not just us or one particular client.

For some reason, now all attempts to use Graph end up in a 403/forbidden response from Power BI. I can log into the Graph Explorer and successfully pull the data there. An example endpoint is "https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/users". I'm absolutely certain I have all required permissions to view a user list.

image.png

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Updates of this issue:

We do not support connecting to Graph. Because of various auth challenges, generic OData connectivity does not work.

Users should vote for a dedicated Graph connector on UserVoice to register their interest. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

We need to vote to show our interest in a feature we were already using until it was abruptly turned off?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft, I think what we're curious about is why it worked for so long, and suddenly now it doesn't. Was this a recent change on the evening of May 31st in relation to GDPR initiatives?

In this situation, we had access to a wealth of data from our AAD tenancies that was very useful in RLS and other scenarios, and suddenly it stopped working (with a basic OAuth flow/signing in with delgated scope). You end up with consumers and consultants building dependencies on these integrations, and then it changes without warning.

While I'm sure you can't revert whatever these changes were, I would love to have a more grounded conversation with our clients as to why a working solution is suddenly broken without any explanation from Microsoft. I was able to make a new solution leveraging an actual Azure AD registered application with Graph permissions, but this caused scope change and user interruptions in the meantime.

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for the feedback. I would suggest you follow this thread or create a support ticket here.

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems the same issue with this thread that has been reported. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.