Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Metadata text view on Table relationships in Power BI

I know you have the diagrammatic view of relationships in power bi, but is there a quick way to see like in a table format to see what tables are mapped to where and on which key?  The reason i ask is because i have a HUGE model with 30+ tables and its really annoying to have to go and click on each relationship to see what its mapped to - is there another way of pulling those relationships where i can see them all in a textual manner?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
norahfox
Advocate III
Advocate III

Have you tried hitting "Manage Relationships" in the Modeling tab on the ribbon?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
norahfox
Advocate III
Advocate III

Have you tried hitting "Manage Relationships" in the Modeling tab on the ribbon?

its not on the modelling ribbon is on the home ribbon but that works thank you!

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

It's an interesting question. I teach Power Pivot and I sometimes get asked similar questions. I always tell people that they don't need to know. Tables either have a relationship or they don't. If they do, then they are related - that's it. It should be irrelevant which columns are used for the relationship (assuming it was done correctly). So certainly if a model is not working, then there is a need to check the relationship to see if a mistake has been made. But if it is working, then it's working, and there is no need to know which is the keyed columns. 

Thats my view anyway. 

Power pivot utilities for Excel can extract info like this from a power pivot model, but it doesn't work for Power BI. I am sure ther meta data is there in a DMV somewhere but I don't know which one. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

if only it was that simple Matt!  🙂

Im in the stages of mapping all the relationships i need for my model, i just want to make sure i haven't missed any and also ensure ive done it on the right key, so it is actually required from a point of due dilligence.

The other way to find out is when things dont work.    Not the ideal.

How many relationships do you have?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

well i have 2 fact tables and minimum 30 dimensions linking to them

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.