Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Merging tables from two different data sources

Gateway settings for Unmerged tablesGateway settings for Unmerged tablesGateway settings that appear when tables are mergedGateway settings that appear when tables are merged

Hello

I am experiencing a very interesting problem which I'm struggling to resolve and hope you can help.

I have 2 tables from 2 different data source. First table is located on an on-prem SQL server and the second is a spreadsheet located on our companies Sharepoint site.  In Power BI desktop I have merged these 2 tables together and it works fine, data is correctly merged.  The issue lies when I publish to Power Service.  If I publish the tables unmerged I can configure scheduled refreshes through the enterprise gateway for the on-prem data source and the credential settings  appear for the Sharepoint data source.  However when I merge the tables and then attempt to schedule a refresh I am asked to install a personal gateway.  I have tried ignoring privacy settings on data sources but still having the same problem.  I have posted the gateway settings for both scenarios above. Hope you can help

Thanks

Jo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Is your enterprise gateway set to refresh cloud data? Also, make sure your on prem SQL table is navigating directly to the table. Don't have a source query that is a list of all SQL tables, then your table is actually a reference to the SQL table list, then a navigation to that specific table.

You don't need a personal gateway. Ignore that warning. I don't know why that is in the refresh setting. It is irritating and makes you think you have a need for a personal gateway even when an enterprise gateway is properly set up.

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

Is your enterprise gateway set to refresh cloud data? Also, make sure your on prem SQL table is navigating directly to the table. Don't have a source query that is a list of all SQL tables, then your table is actually a reference to the SQL table list, then a navigation to that specific table.

You don't need a personal gateway. Ignore that warning. I don't know why that is in the refresh setting. It is irritating and makes you think you have a need for a personal gateway even when an enterprise gateway is properly set up.

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hello @edhans 

I have encountered similar error when using merge function in Power BI Service.  However, all my data sources are in Sharepoint, so I guess gateways are not necessary as the screen says that "You don't need a gateway for this dataset because all of its data sources are in the cloud, but you can use a gateway for enhanced control over how you connect."

Here is the thread I created yesterday:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Refresh-error-when-using-NestedJoin/td-p/979690 

I tried to add a gateway anyway, but then unlike what you mentioned above, besides adding gateway cluster, I had to add a sub cluster under the first one, and authentication fails no matter what I used.

gatewayError.jpg

Do you have any idea how to solve this?  Thank you so much in advance.

Best regards,

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you @edhans  adding the gateway setting has worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.