Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Fitin1rb
Helper III
Helper III

Merging data from one table to another

Hello - 

I have 2 tables in my model that I am trying to 'merge' the data together.  I am looking to pull one data element from Table1 and put it in Table2.  The two tables have a relationship based on the Transaction ID (but both tables are joined to a calendar table so I cannot make this relationship active).  The tables are very large, so I do not really want to use a calculated column in the table.

Table 1			                     Table 2	
Transaction ID	Asset		Transaction ID	  Approval Date
AAA123	        1		     AAA123	    1/1/2018
AAA123	        2		     AAA345	     2/1/2018
AAA123	        3			
AAA345	        4 			

So I am trying to get the approval dates into Table1 the most efficient way possible, without causing performance issues in my report.  (Table 1 has millions of rows of data).

Thanks for any help

Ryan 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If the tables are not linked with the relationship then you can use below method 

LOOKUPVALUE = LOOKUPVALUE(Table2[Approval Date],Table2[Transaction ID],Table1[Transaction ID])

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Lookup value.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Kasunpathirana
Resolver I
Resolver I

Use the function Related = RELATED(Table2[Approval Date])

Related.png

Hey @Kasunpathirana I cannot get this to work because the relationship between the 2 tables is not active.  Power BI will not let me make it active due to both tables being joined to the Calendar table.

If the tables are not linked with the relationship then you can use below method 

LOOKUPVALUE = LOOKUPVALUE(Table2[Approval Date],Table2[Transaction ID],Table1[Transaction ID])

Lookup value.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.