Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thmonte
Helper IV
Helper IV

Merging 3 Tables into one with related values

I'd like to merge these 3 tables:

datetaskIDa.HourspersonID
6/5/2018AAAA41
6/5/2018AAAA41
6/5/2018BBBB42
6/5/2018BBBB43
6/6/2018CCCC84
6/6/2018DDDD85
6/6/2018EEEEE8

datepersonIDb.Hours
6/5/201814
6/5/201814
6/5/201828
6/5/201838
6/6/201848
6/6/201858
6/6/201868

taskIDc.Hours
AAAA4
AAAA4
BBBB4
BBBB4
CCCC8
DDDD8
EEEEE8

Resulting Table

datepersonIDa.Hoursb.Hoursc.Hours
6/5/20181888
6/5/20182488
6/5/20183488
6/6/20184888
6/6/20185888
6/6/20186888

In addition to results table, when I click on a row, I'd like a seperate visual to display all associated task IDs for the date selected.  I'm sure some relationship tables need to be setup but I don't know what else to do here.  Its a tought one for me.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @thmonte,

You need to setup 3 different dimension table with unique values in order to make then related with other tables. I'm using dax to make this tables but this can also be made in Query editor:

Tasks = DISTINCT(UNION(ALL(Table1[taskID]);ALL(Table3[taskID])) )
Persons = DISTINCT(UNION(ALL(Table1[personID]);ALL(Table2[personID])))
DimDate = CALENDAR("01/01/2018";"31/12/2018") 

To have a more complete calendar table follow this link.

Then you need to setup the relationships between all the tables:

DimDate[Date] -> Table1[Date] (one to many)

DimDate[Date] -> Table2[Date] (one to many)

Persons[personID] -> Table1[personID] (one to many)

Persons[personID] -> Table2[personID] (one to many)

Tasks[TaskID] -> Table1[taskID] (one to many) (cross filtering both sides)

Tasks[TaskID] -> Table3[taskID] (one to many)

This will get the expected result be aware that you should use in your final table the values from the Dimension tables (Date, Persons, Tasks) to make your visuals and then the hours from the other tables.

Tables.png

Be aware that in the image above the slicer is acting with the taskID table the other one is not since you have fully detail of the personID you won't be abble to show the activity for that day for all persons. In your data one person does one task per day however if in your live data you have more than one task if you select the lina in the table it will give you all the activities for that person on that day.

See attach PBIX file.

Again the way the table are calculated is one of the many ways you can do it in PBI, depending on the actual data you can have better and faster ways of doing this.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Load all the queries individually and then in the Power Query mode just do 'Append Queries as New' this will basically be the union of all. I think you will able to do the rest following that, as a good practice I always disable the load of the queries powering this Append in order to reduce load time.

Hi @nirvana_moksh,

Sorry for replying to this but when you do append of this tables the result will not be the expected one this will give you a single table with all the lines one after the other and the columns that aren't matching will be filled with nulls.

In this case you could use a merge queries that allows to make the relationship between several tables but again in this type of data this would not give the expected result because there are rows that when merged with other tables would create double or triple rows, so in the end the expected result would not be achieved.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

I scrolled further down to the post and realzied I skipped the last image of the 'Resulting Table' . Thanks for the reply Felix and I agree with your solution.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @thmonte,

You need to setup 3 different dimension table with unique values in order to make then related with other tables. I'm using dax to make this tables but this can also be made in Query editor:

Tasks = DISTINCT(UNION(ALL(Table1[taskID]);ALL(Table3[taskID])) )
Persons = DISTINCT(UNION(ALL(Table1[personID]);ALL(Table2[personID])))
DimDate = CALENDAR("01/01/2018";"31/12/2018") 

To have a more complete calendar table follow this link.

Then you need to setup the relationships between all the tables:

DimDate[Date] -> Table1[Date] (one to many)

DimDate[Date] -> Table2[Date] (one to many)

Persons[personID] -> Table1[personID] (one to many)

Persons[personID] -> Table2[personID] (one to many)

Tasks[TaskID] -> Table1[taskID] (one to many) (cross filtering both sides)

Tasks[TaskID] -> Table3[taskID] (one to many)

This will get the expected result be aware that you should use in your final table the values from the Dimension tables (Date, Persons, Tasks) to make your visuals and then the hours from the other tables.

Tables.png

Be aware that in the image above the slicer is acting with the taskID table the other one is not since you have fully detail of the personID you won't be abble to show the activity for that day for all persons. In your data one person does one task per day however if in your live data you have more than one task if you select the lina in the table it will give you all the activities for that person on that day.

See attach PBIX file.

Again the way the table are calculated is one of the many ways you can do it in PBI, depending on the actual data you can have better and faster ways of doing this.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

This worked great @MFelix Thank you for your help.  One more question.  Is it possible ot create a filter/measure to compare all 3 of the hours even tho they are not in the same data table?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors