Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lemarcfj
Helper I
Helper I

Merge or Join Two Tables On Matching Dimensions

Hi,

This is a very common question/issue that I'm sure has many posts but I always struggle with following those because no example provided seems to be exactly alike what I am looking for. I am looking to merge two tables on two different columns that share some dimension values. Specifically, the two tables below with orange highlight shows the two different columns that I'd like merged on matching values - the final output that I'm looking for is the last table with green highlight. Note that the two tables have the same structure except the highlighted columns which are technically different dimensions, but will share SOME of the same values. Can anyone help with how I should merge this in Power BI? Should this be a join instead? Thanks!

sampletable 1.PNGsampletable 2.PNGsamplefinal.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI @lemarcfj

Instead of a merge query.. do an append query

Then select the 2 columns "Creative Elements" and "campaigns Columns" in new append query and merge them using merge columns

Then select the merged column and select from the Home Tab>>>Keep Rows>>Keep Duplicates

See the attached file it will give you an idea how to do it

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Thanks. I believe your suggest has gotten me closer, however the final appended table that I'm getting isn't showing accurate total values. Also, In your example you have relationships between metrics (visits) from the parent tables to the appended table - this doens't work for me and gives me a error saying that one must have unique values. Considering they are metric/measure values, this column will always have duplicates. 

Ultimately, I need to be able to have a sum value of visits from both tables in the appended table, at daily granularity. 

@lemarcfj

Could you paste some data in copiable format with expected results?

I will try to get you the desired result in a pbix file

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.