Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Merge or Append 2 big table's columns

Dear  all,

I have 2 big tables(For example Table A and Table B), which contains many columns and no of records(more than 65,00,000 records) also more.

Now i want to merge/Append Table B's 5 columns with Table A. I tried with Merge/Append option in Power BI editor. But it took more time and sometimes the Power BI got crashed.

Is there any better way to Join/Append/Merge only selected columns from Different table(For example From Table B to Table A) without any delay or crash in Power BIU desktop.

And let me know what is the exact use of "LOOKUPVALUE" API. Will it be helpful to merge/Append desired columns from Table B to Table A(For example).

Thanks & regards,

Pon maheswaran K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous , you can move like

New column in Table A = maxx(filter(TableB, TableB[empid] =TableA[empid] && TableB[Date] =TableA[Date]),TableB[Col1])

Change join and Aggregation as per need. This is a costly operation. See if you can work with common dimensions and measures

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

LOOKUPVALUE is a DAX function and generally not related to merging or appending tables in Power Query, which uses M and not DAX. LOOKUPVALUE is generally used to lookup values in unrelated tables.

As for the rest of it, there is simply not enough information to go on.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @Greg_Deckler@amitchandak  ,

Thanks for your reply on LOOKUPVALUE and URL.

i have Table A and Table B. Both are very big tables and contains more than 6500000 records.

Between Table A and Table B, "EmpId" and "Date" are common columns exists in both the tables.

And i need to merge/Append only 2 columns from table B to Table A. Is there any easy approach to acheive this?

Please let me know.

Thanks Regards,

Pon maheswaran K

I believe the most efficient approach would be to create a combination key from those two columns in each table. Create a bridge table of unique values. Form the relationships. Relationships will be orders of magnitude faster than LOOKUPVALUE or even, likely, merge operations.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Anonymous , you can move like

New column in Table A = maxx(filter(TableB, TableB[empid] =TableA[empid] && TableB[Date] =TableA[Date]),TableB[Col1])

Change join and Aggregation as per need. This is a costly operation. See if you can work with common dimensions and measures

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.