Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mathze03
Helper I
Helper I

Merge of queries due to changed source files without destroying the current report structure

Hi forum,

I have a question regarding our report set. We use a Power BI report to measure the usage of a performance support system. For this we get around 28 different CSV files which you can download from the performance support system. Usually, these files hold all clicks etc. from the day of launch of the system until today. 

However, the system developers told us that they can no longer provide the entire data set (launch - today) as the files get apparently too big. We are now only able to download smaller sets, like last month, last week, etc.

I have developed a faily complex report set by now and wonder how I can tell Power BI that it should add the data from the new CSV files to the existing data set?

I'm aware of the function how to add data to a query (merge and attach). However, I'm afraid that I have to re-create everything based on a merged query as the current reports draw the info directly from CSV files, calculate some measure and feed this into all of my visiual. This doesn't work anymore with the new condition as I would only have the data from the last month. (I hope it is comprehensible. 🙂 )

Thanks a lot in advance.

Mathias 

2 REPLIES 2
Mathze03
Helper I
Helper I

Dear @aj1973 ,

thanks a lot for your quick reply and for your help. 🙂 This was indeed a very good hint. I tried to set-up a workflow via power automate. The disadvantage ist, that powerbi needs to transform the CSV files into JSON files first and then back into CSV files. That is actually not a big problem. The actual problem is that power automate can apparently only handle files up to 100 MBs. The main file has already a size of 150 MB. 

But again, basically you provided a suitable solution. Thank you!

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Mathze03 

This is where Power Automate will be your saver.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.