Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DimaLnk
Frequent Visitor

Merge multiple rows

Hi,

I'm a relatively new user to PowerBI and I really find this software amazing. However, I'm kind of stuck with one issue that I need help with.

I have a folder as a source (with about 3000 CSV files), and everything works fine.

Now the issue is that some of the CSV files contain a "unique ID" multiple times, and I would like to merge them into one row. However, mostly the value of almost all attributes contain the same thing, and I only need it to merge the values of a specific attribute. (preferably the ones without a blank value)

UniqueID  Attr1Attr2Attr3Attr4
Unique1AAA123789 
Unique2 BBB123 789 111222333 
Unique3 BBB 123 987 222333444
Unique1 AAA123 789 444555666 
Unique4 AAA123 456 555666777 
Unique1AAA123789444555666

So the idea is to have for Unique1 the Attr4 mergerd

However, for Unique2 the Attr4 is the same, so should should remain also the same.

So the desired result would be:

UniqueID  Attr1Attr2Attr3Attr4
Unique1AAA123789444555666
Unique3 BBB 123 987 222333444
Unique4 AAA123 456 555666777 

Is there any solution with PowerBI for my problem?

Kind regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @DimaLnk,

If I understand your issue you have the same ID with all the same values except in some rows that have blanks, this can be sorted by doing a group by in the query. Based on you example you need to do a group by UniqueID and Attr1 (both are text fieds), then do the max for the other 3 attributes, this should work as you need, considering that the lines are always the same if you have different values per UniqueID the Max may not work as you need.

Please check if this works for what you need.

Regards,

Mfelix

Capture.PNG

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @DimaLnk,

If I understand your issue you have the same ID with all the same values except in some rows that have blanks, this can be sorted by doing a group by in the query. Based on you example you need to do a group by UniqueID and Attr1 (both are text fieds), then do the max for the other 3 attributes, this should work as you need, considering that the lines are always the same if you have different values per UniqueID the Max may not work as you need.

Please check if this works for what you need.

Regards,

Mfelix

Capture.PNG

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix,

Thank you for your reply.

It looks closer to the solution I need, however, my acutal table has 50+ attributes, and that would mean that I would probably thus need to add the separatly in the group by (as doing a group by ID and attr4 as value, discards all the other attributes).

I could of course add it a separate query and then link them to each other, but that also looks like a "dirty solution".

It's a partial solution, but I'd like to know if there wouldn't be a better //futureproof// solution?

BTW: Attr4 is actually a text-field, but it looks like MAX actually works on it 🙂

Kind regards.

I don't know how the full model is set-up because you only presented part of the layout however you can select multiple columns before doing the group by (use CTRL) if the blanks are only in certain atributes you can use this option to select all other columns an then select the rest in the bottom part of the screen.

If you want me to test something different I can do it with a sample of the data.

Regards,

MFelixUntitled_1.png

Regards

Miguel Félix

Holding CTRL helped a lot. I played around with it and it works fine. Thanks a lot!

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi dude,

Once u merged that two columns , Remove Duplicate thats it.

1.JPG

Try this.

Hi Baskar,

The issue is that I need to merge rows, not columns. The idea is also that it happens automatically without any manual interaction (except refresh data)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.