Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dpuja
Helper I
Helper I

Merge Column name in powerBI

Hi,

I want to merge column name in power BI, like we do on excel. Is that possible?

Example: 

Status   1Status 2Status 3
1E
2BF
3CG
4DH

Status 

1E
2BF
3CG
4DH

I want this to have a common title (Status), keeping data in different columns. Can we do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @dpuja 

you can use the formatting of the Column headers in combination with the Field Formatting:

1. Select your visual and click Format.
  2. Open Column headers bucket and set the font color to white (or same color as backgroundcolor). All headers are now invisible.
  3. Open Field Formatting bucket.
  4. Open first listbox and select Status column.
  5. Set the Font color to black and switch button Apply to header to On. Only the first header is visible, see figure:

15-09-_2020_15-08-04.png

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @dpuja 

you can use the formatting of the Column headers in combination with the Field Formatting:

1. Select your visual and click Format.
  2. Open Column headers bucket and set the font color to white (or same color as backgroundcolor). All headers are now invisible.
  3. Open Field Formatting bucket.
  4. Open first listbox and select Status column.
  5. Set the Font color to black and switch button Apply to header to On. Only the first header is visible, see figure:

15-09-_2020_15-08-04.png

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

Spoiler

@FrankAT Its a good workaround. Thanks!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@dpuja , the output is not very clear.  look the same as input without column heading.

Check if unpivot can help: https://radacad.com/pivot-and-unpivot-with-power-bi

@amitchandak Yes, All I want is the column header to be merged and data to be unaffected.  We do it in excel , where we merge the headings of two column into on cell. Is that doabke in power BI?

dpuja
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Experts,

Any advice on this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.