Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Merge 5 SharePoint lists

Need is to merge the data from 5 SharePoint lists and produce 1 chart/report.

Report Builder 3.0 is past option with just 2 lists, but 5 is causing more of a challenge.

Anyone merged 5 SharePoint lists with Power BI?  Is this even an option with 5 lists?

4 REPLIES 4
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

By my tests, it seems that there is no good way for us to merge more than 2 queries at one time currently in Power Query.

You could try merge 2 queries at first then merge the third query to the new table, and merge as this. However, if you're in this way, it will have a bad  impact on performance.

Besides, You could vote this similar ideas here which has been submitted in Power BI ideas forum and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

what about append instead of merge?  That option is available for 3 or more tables.

Only issue I'm running into is the ID column we use and Power BI doesn't like the dup values.

I'm trying to create a new column which is just the ID + string value for each list, but can't get a number + string to join.

There's gotta be something I can do to convert the number to a string so the concat will work.

I should have specified earlier.

Append is essentially adding rows to the data set. It requires all datasets to have the same exact column headings and data types, then pieces them together

Merge is how PowerQuery handles joins between tables.

This article does a good job explaning it. http://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

The question is, if you have 5 sharepoint lists that are the same, then you can append them all. If they don't contain the same information, then you will have to merge them using the proper joining mechanisms.

BKirsch12
Resolver II
Resolver II

Absolutely, assuming they are using the same data structure, you can use the append queries part of PowerQuery and then choose the Three or more tables option. Let me know if you have any other questions. Example below:

PBI Append.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.