Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

laurent_rio
Helper I
Helper I

Merge 2 tables, please help

Hi,

I need to merge my 2 tables 
1st tables = Employee List

Employee ID

2nd table = Employee Status

Employee IDEmployee Status
1Active
3Terminated
4Terminated
6Terminated

Since Employee ID in table 1 & 2 not sync (  some ID exist in table 1 and some in table 2 only) , i want to combine this 2 table into 1 table 

Employee IDEmployee Status
1Active
3Terminated
4Terminated
6Terminated

I try use merge query with mathing column is employee ID on both table and then choose Left Outer as join kind but it will not show me data from table 2 (ID 3,4,6). What should i choose to get the table as i want ?

Please advice

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@laurent_rio , Have you checked my file?

I added a new column and combined ids.

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(Table1, {"Employee ID"}, #"Table (2)", {"Employee ID"}, "Table (2)", JoinKind.FullOuter),
    #"Expanded Table (2)" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "Table (2)", {"Employee ID", "Employee Status"}, {"Table (2).Employee ID", "Table (2).Employee Status"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Table (2)", "ID", each if [Employee ID] =null then [#"Table (2).Employee ID"] else [Employee ID]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Employee ID", "Table (2).Employee ID"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

View solution in original post

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @laurent_rio ,

If you still want to keep the original tables(Employee List and Employee Status), you can add new blank query with the following codes in Advanced Editor to get the combined data.

let
    Source = Table.Combine({#"Employee Status", #"Employee List"}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(Source, {"Employee ID"})
in
    #"Removed Duplicates"

yingyinr_0-1618297541712.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @laurent_rio ,

If you still want to keep the original tables(Employee List and Employee Status), you can add new blank query with the following codes in Advanced Editor to get the combined data.

let
    Source = Table.Combine({#"Employee Status", #"Employee List"}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(Source, {"Employee ID"})
in
    #"Removed Duplicates"

yingyinr_0-1618297541712.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
laurent_rio
Helper I
Helper I

Hi new table using full outer will be like this, the employee ID from table 2 is return as null. Any way to display employee ID in table 2 ?

Capture.JPG

@laurent_rio , Have you checked my file?

I added a new column and combined ids.

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(Table1, {"Employee ID"}, #"Table (2)", {"Employee ID"}, "Table (2)", JoinKind.FullOuter),
    #"Expanded Table (2)" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "Table (2)", {"Employee ID", "Employee Status"}, {"Table (2).Employee ID", "Table (2).Employee Status"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Table (2)", "ID", each if [Employee ID] =null then [#"Table (2).Employee ID"] else [Employee ID]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom",{"Employee ID", "Table (2).Employee ID"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

laurent_rio
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

I try with full outer but when i try to expand and show the employee status. The employee ID that not in table 1 is dissapear

@laurent_rio , refer to the file attached after signature

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors