Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mond
Helper III
Helper III

Merge 2 tables in Power Query based on multiple conditions

Hi,

I am trying to achieve sql condition in Power Query to merge 2 different tables based on below conditio:

Table A.Column1 = Table B.Column1 and ( Table A.Column2 = Table B.Column2 OR Table A.Column3 = Table B.Column3)

When I do merge on 2 tables, all I can do is choose which columns to merge with and expand the table but default option is AND , there's no OR option or way to define my requested condition.
Can some one help on this.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
Anand24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Mond ,

AND condition be achieved in the following way:

1. Create a new column in both tables by concatenating the columns in Join condition.

Say you are joining on Table A.Column1 = Table B.Column1 AND Table A.Column2 = Table B.Column2, then create a new column by concatenating Column1 and Column 2

2. Join both tables on the new column created in step 1

This can be done for any no. of AND conditions by new column with concatenating fields from joining condition.

Not quite sure about OR condition joining. I don't think it currently exists in Power BI. Hence these conditions are usually managed by changing the structure of datasets used.

You can probably submit this as an idea here.

Give a thumbs up if this post helped you in any way and mark this post as solution if it solved your query !!!

Thanks Anand for your prompt input.

I have done that approach before coming to community, since there's no OR condition, I couldn't get the data I want to represent.

I will submit an idea and probably you can vote to give more visibility.

Thanks once again.

mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Mond 

How about you just apply first merge "Table A.Column1 = Table B.Column1" and bring column2, column3 and other columns from Table B.

Once you have all the data in Table A, you add one custom column and write dax for the sql condition you mention and bring maybe 'Yes'/'No' or something. And now you know which records you need to consider for the calculation in the columns from TAble B.

Hope this is making sense.

Hi @Mond ,

I cannot think of a better solution than what  @Greg_Deckler  said.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Mond - Maybe merge on the first set of columns, merge on the second set of columns. Append, remove duplicates.

If not @ImkeF 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi,

When you choose first set and second set of columns on merge, it will be AND condition, there's no option to have OR condition.

May be I am missing something in the helpful hint.

Thank you in advance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors