Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BIXL
Resolver I
Resolver I

Memory issue after Power BI April update ?

It seems that April release has an issue with memory usage (BUG ??).
I have opened an existing model after upgrading to April update and immediately I felt a dramatic increase of memory usage in both PowerBI Desktop and even more in Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services. With the latter, about 3 time as comparing to same model with PBI previous update (March).
As for now I have downgraded to previous release (good thing I had a backup file, because you can't go back with the same file after upgrading ).

I added a picture of my Task Manager right before one of my graph visual returned out of memory error. My machine is with 8G of RAM and this didn't happen with same model with previous version....

This does not make sense ...Has anyone had this kind of problem like I did

PBI_TaskManager.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Silko
Helper II
Helper II

I have the same issue when I use ALLSELECTED function. Anyone solved this problem?

luisr

Hi, I have faced 2 times the same memory issue on PowerBI Desktop (downloaded Agst 2016), using rank with DAX functions. I feel that PowerBI doens't have a proper memory control in certain situations. It caused that the entire machine failed and stop working, even the right click on the task manager doesn't work. The only solution is to restart the machine using the power button.

LOL !!!!!!   I just upgraded to the latest release today, 8/26/2016, and my server runs out of memory and disconnects me from the remote session.  I haven't seen behavior like this since the days of PICK OS.  We were seriously considering as using PowerBI as our front-end reporting, but this is a major flaw.  Unless we can roll back to an earlier version, that worked with the same model, we will be forced to re-think our roll out plans.

We have a 16gb VM, 2012 Standard, plenty of disk space and this is the only software running except for SQL Server 2012. 

Are there other tweaks that can be administered for this latest upgrade, if now where to find an earler version.

I am facing the same with the latest update, as of today.  I haven't see behavior like this since the PICK OS days of the late 1970's, where the machine litterly "blows up", stops processing and disconnects from a remote session.  This is serious flaw stuff.  The software as working fine a few weeks ago.  Our environment is VM, 2012 Standard, with 16gb memory. Does anyone out there in cyberspace have a "fix" ?  

Can we roll back to an earlier verion.  My appology for asking what might be in the knowledge base but we have only been testing this software for a couple of weeks now.

Thanks in advance.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you provide any additional details on your PBIX file, data source, I'm assuming SSAS? Direct Query, import, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

My model is built on Power BI Desktop, importing data from sql server DB. the model size is not so large :45 Mb.

the visual that trigers the vast memory usage is a pareto% :

TotalNetSalesAllClients := CALCULATE([Total Net Sales],All(DimClients))
AccountRank := RANKX(ALL(DimClients),[Total Net Sales],,DESC)
ParetoValueAccount := SUMX(TOPN([AccountRank], ALL(DimAccounts),[Total Net Sales]),[Total Net Sales])
Pareto%Accounts := DIVIDE([ParetoValueAccount],[TotalNetSalesAllAccounts],BLANK())

when writing it I see that there is an inconsistancy with the use of DimClients vs DimAccounts (they are the same one ..).

basicly the original name was DimClients wich I later change to DimAccounts, assuming that the model can handle it-and it did.

I now assume that the upgrade of the model file didn't handle that  change correctly and was kinda "searching" a non existing DimClients until memory error.

I am checking this now and will write back if this is correct.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@BIXL How many Total Clients / Accounts do you have?

You may have to do this calculation with a summary table and Calculated Columns instead of Measures?

The ParetoValue and Pareto% Measures iterate over the enitre dataset for EACH Client / Account

I recently had to do this...

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Pareto-80-20-calculation-for-items-making-up-80-of-Sales/td-...

Thanks for your detailed alternative solution, but I'm not sure that it's right thing to do  bypassing this issue with alternative solution.

first, as for my best knowledge,  a measure consumes CPU, not memory (as appose to calculated columns). so it just doesn't make sense to replace a measure with calculated column when having memory problem, right ?

second. this measure worked just fine until April update. so it's beyond me. I sended a frown to Microsoft, hopefully they can figure it out.

thanks again.

My Bad. the source code was taking from my documentaion and not from the model.

the measures from the model  all point to the relevant DimAccounts.

My assumption was wrong..

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.