Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Memory Issue For Pareto Calculation

Hi All,

I am trying to do a Pareto Calculation. My source of data is excel having row counts of 1,274,444. But the cumulative sum is not working due to a memory issue. I tried a couple of times but eventually after waiting for 15-20 mins it gives me an out of memory error. 

My RAM(in VDI) is 6 GB . I have even tried increasing the Power BI Cache size to 6 GB from the default size. But it did not work. Any idea how this could be resolved?

Its a cumulative sum of spend for vendors. The DAX is below

Cumulative Spend = IF(HASONEVALUE('2017_2018'[Supplier - Vendor Global Ultimate Parent (enr)]),
SUMX(TOPN([Rank],ALL('2017_2018'[Supplier - Vendor Global Ultimate Parent (enr)]),
[Total Spend],DESC),[Total Spend]),BLANK())

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Ankhi
7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous based on 1.2 million rows it should work fine. If you can share sample data and expected result, will able to write a DAX for you. Looking at your DAX, not sure what you are trying to achieve.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Parry,

Below is the sample data. The vendor parent column has duplicate data. As it has vendor childs. I want a cumulative spend of all the vendor parent. I have provided another table below of what is expected. And then finally a cumulative percentage.

I have given just 3 columns on which I want the calculations. However the excel has many other columns and the rowcount is almost 2M as mentioned in my previous post.

Sample Data: 

Supplier - Vendor ParentSupplier Vendor ChildSpend
ABCABC 115423
ABCABC 22345
MAGNETSMagnets177.988767
MAGNETSMagnets256767
UNICORNUNICORN12459
UNICORNUNICORN215236
UNICORNUNICORN32133
UnclassifiedUnclassified15423
ATH AOATH AO2345
Te Zheng XingTe Zheng Xing A77.988767
Te Zheng XingTe Zheng Xing B56767
Te Zheng XingTe Zheng Xing C2459
Te Zheng XingTe Zheng Xing D15236
Premier PressPremier Press12133
Premier PressPremier Press11345

Expected Result

Vendor ParentCumulative SpendCumulative Spend %
ABC1776817786/190226.9
MAGNETS56844.956844.9/190226.9
UNICORN19828 
Unclassified15423 
ATH AO2345 
Te Zheng Xing74539.9 
Premier Press3478 

Hope I am able to explain it clearly.

Many Thanks

Regards

Ankhi

@Anonymous I guess this is what you are looking for

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Parry,

So sorry , my expected result is below. The cumulative spend is spend of vendor 1, then vendor 1 + vendor 2, vendor 1 + vendor2 + vendor 3 etc..

Vendor ParentSpendCumulative SpendCumulative Spend %
ABC177681776817786/190226.9
MAGNETS56844.97461274612/190226.9
UNICORN198289444094440/190226.
Unclassified15423109863 
ATH AO2345112208 
Te Zheng Xing74539.9186748 
Premier Press3478190220 

@Anonymous that is easy but do we want to keep the same sort order for parent? 

@Anonymous here is how it looks like if sorted by parent vendor

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

when i pull it in the graph the vendors will be shown in descending order by Spend. I mean the vendor with the highest spend 1st and then decreasing. On x axis it will be vendor and i want to have the cumulative spend % as a line 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.