Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Median of Row Column in Matrix

Hello Fellow Dax'ers

It sure seems like I should be able to do this...but I'm not seeing it with the things I've tried.

I have a selection of records--that serve as columns in a matrix.  The rows are different performance metrics.  In essence, this is a side-by-side display/comparison of the columns.  it would be VERY helpful to have a median column which shows the 50th percentile value for the row.  Below is the matrix.  For example--instead of the total column, a median or any percentile calc for that matter.  Next to the snip of the matrix is the field well for the visual.  I can't put the rowmedian measure into the the rows or columns well--only the values well which isn't helpful as you can see in snip 3.  Any ideas?   Tom

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi ThomasDay

The total Column under the Matrix has the function to compute the Median, but the Total title won't change. I think I have showed how to change the Sum to the other compute methods,

To set the Total column to compute Median, we need to open the dropdown icon of the item in the Value fields, where would allow to choose the methods, then select the methods we need. Values in total should be changed after selection.

Under the pen icon, we could choose whether to show both column total and row total.

By the way, currently I have no idea adding a column which would show the Median column as the total column is possible under Matrix.

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

This seems a bit simplistic, but can you just get rid of the initial measure and only use the Median measure you wrote?

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@jahida Yes, that doesn't really get me to where I'm hoping to go.  The point of the matrix is the side by side comparisons...I was thinking a median column would help the viewer understand each column more quickly and intuitively than having to size up the values across the line.  Anyone else have a way to go with this?

Tom

Hi ThomasDay,

If you would like to show the Median of the Metric Value, we could just select the option in the dropdown list, there are Average and Median could be selected, and I think a measure should not be necessary here. Please take a try and see if this would meet the requirements.

4.PNG

If any further assistance needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards

@v-micsh-msft  Thanks for the suggestion.  I am looking to add a column which is like the Total Column--but is a Median rather than a Sum.  If I could set the Total Column to compute a Median, that would be perfect.

Thanks again....Anyone have another idea?

Hi ThomasDay

The total Column under the Matrix has the function to compute the Median, but the Total title won't change. I think I have showed how to change the Sum to the other compute methods,

To set the Total column to compute Median, we need to open the dropdown icon of the item in the Value fields, where would allow to choose the methods, then select the methods we need. Values in total should be changed after selection.

Under the pen icon, we could choose whether to show both column total and row total.

By the way, currently I have no idea adding a column which would show the Median column as the total column is possible under Matrix.

Regards

@v-micsh-msft Interesting..You know this actually works since each row is the value from a single record.  That means the row values don't change when I change the row calc to Median.  The total column is the median of the row values (unchanged) which is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks for keeping up with this thread!  Tom

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.