Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Median Calculated Column using Dax

Hello All,

I have written measure for Median by using the below formula.

_Median = CALCULATE(MEDIAN('Emp Master'[Emp Count]),ALLSELECTED('Emp Master'))

Now when i filter by SBU and PRACTICE and EMP GRADE's, it gets fillter perfectly.

1.PNG

Now when i write the same formula in CALCULATED COLUMN as below

_CAL MEDIAN = CALCULATE(MEDIAN('Emp Master'[EMp Count]),ALLSELECTED('Emp Master'))

I am getting error as

Expressions that yield variant data-type cannot be used to define calculated columns.

Can anyone please suggest me about this.

11 REPLIES 11
S184019
Advocate III
Advocate III

So no solution on this? 

CALCULATE(MEDIANX('Emp Master','Emp Master'[Count]*1.0),ALLSELECTED('Emp Master'))

When I try re-creating this column (not measure), I get an error stating, Expressions that yield variant data-type cannot be used to define calculated columns. 

How do we create a median column??

Thanks, 😊

jfallt
Frequent Visitor

I know this is old but a simpler fix is converting the source data to decimal numbers.

v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Anonymous

I can repro your issue. And it seems like this issue is related to the MEDIAN() function in calculated column. I have reported this issue internally. If I got any response, I will come back and tell you.

1.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply @v-xjiin-msft

Please give a solution as soon as possible..

I ll be waiting for the reply..

Hi @Anonymous,

When the underlying column is of data type Whole Number, MEDIAN function returns a variant data type because it may return a Whole Number when there is no interpolation or a Decimal Number when there is interpolation. While measures can be of variant data type, calculated columns must be of a single data type, hence the error. To force MEDIAN to always return Decimal Number, change the expression to MEDIANX(Table1, [Column2] * 1.0).

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply @v-qiuyu-msft.

Median forumal worked.

But as i mentioned above in my question, i am grouping the median by grade here.

When i used the same formula but in calculated column it giving me wrong result. 

Measure Forumula:-

_Median By Measure = CALCULATE(MEDIAN('Emp Master'[Count]),ALLSELECTED('Emp Master'))

Calculated Column Formula:- 

_Median By Cal Col = CALCULATE(MEDIANX('Emp Master','Emp Master'[Count]*1.0),ALLSELECTED('Emp Master'))

Output:-

Capture.PNG

Can you please help me with this...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft @v-xjiin-msft can you please suggest me about this..

@Anonymous

That's weird. I have made some test based on your sample data. Use Enter Data directly to create a source table. However the measure and calculated column with same expression return the same result.

Please refer:

222.PNG

Thereby, I think the issue is not related to the expression. Maybe it exists in other parts of your report. Please verify this.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xjiin-msft Thanks for the reply.

I think you didnt checked with mulitple grades.

I too used the same formula

_Median = CALCULATE(MEDIANX('Emp Master','Emp Master'[Count]*1.0),ALLSELECTED('Emp Master'))

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-xjiin-msft @v-qiuyu-msft Can you please give any suggestion regarding this..

It will be lot helpful for me.

Hi @Anonymous,

Sorry for delayed reply.

But I'm still getting the right result even with multiple grades. Thereby could you please share us your report file (pbix) if possible?

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.