Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tomhayw
Helper I
Helper I

Measuring time between dates in the past

Hello everyone,

I currently have a table with dates for invoices sent and invoices received.

I want to calculate how many invoices weren't paid for over 30 days in the past (I have the data available for this).

Essentially I want my output to be a line graph with the count of invoices that weren't paid within 30 days within each historic month. Is there a measure anyone can think of that would be able to do this?

Thanks,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Tomhayw ,

The project 3 should not be included due to the invoice paid on Feb 07, 2022... Am I right? I created a sample pbix file(see attachment) for you, please check whether that is what you want. You can create a measure as below:

Measure = 
VAR _year =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Date'[Date].[Year] )
VAR _month =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Date'[Date].[MonthNo] )
VAR _seledate =
    EOMONTH ( DATE ( _year, _month, 1 ), 0 )
VAR _count =
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Table'[Project name] ),
        FILTER (
            'Table',
            'Table'[Invoice sent] < _seledate
                && 'Table'[Invoice paid] > _seledate
                && DATEDIFF ( 'Table'[Invoice sent], _seledate, DAY ) > 30
        )
    )
RETURN
    _count

yingyinr_0-1669282384386.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tomhayw ,

Do you want to get a line chart and display the data with the count of the invoices which weren't paid within 30days? In order to get a better understanding on your requirement and give you a suitable solution, could you please provide some raw data in your invoice table (exclude sensitive data) with Text format and your expected result with backend logic and special examples. It is better if you can share a simplified pbix file. You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community. Thank you.

How to upload PBI in Community

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi there,

I've attached a screenshot of what the raw data looks like, and what an expected output would look like:

Data:

Tomhayw_0-1669194132796.png

In these months, I want to see how many invoices were still outstanding which had >30 days with no invoice paid as of the end of each month

Desired output: 

Tomhayw_1-1669194364678.png

I hope this provides some clarity on my problem

Hi @Tomhayw ,

Thanks for your reply. What's the calculation logic? Why it is 1 in Jan, 3 in Feb, 2 in March? Could you please provide the special examples to explain it base on your sample data. Thank you.

yingyinr_0-1669280014246.png

Best Regards

Essentially what I mean is that if I was to look in Feb-22, how many of those projects had invoices that still weren't paid at the end of the month and where the number of days since invoice sent > 30.

So for Feb, project 1, 2 and 3 still hadn't been paid by the end of February, and the number of days since the invoice sent to the end of February >30, so you would count those three.

Hi @Tomhayw ,

The project 3 should not be included due to the invoice paid on Feb 07, 2022... Am I right? I created a sample pbix file(see attachment) for you, please check whether that is what you want. You can create a measure as below:

Measure = 
VAR _year =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Date'[Date].[Year] )
VAR _month =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Date'[Date].[MonthNo] )
VAR _seledate =
    EOMONTH ( DATE ( _year, _month, 1 ), 0 )
VAR _count =
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Table'[Project name] ),
        FILTER (
            'Table',
            'Table'[Invoice sent] < _seledate
                && 'Table'[Invoice paid] > _seledate
                && DATEDIFF ( 'Table'[Invoice sent], _seledate, DAY ) > 30
        )
    )
RETURN
    _count

yingyinr_0-1669282384386.png

Best Regards

Yes you are correct re project 3 not being included. I've tried to replicate this measure in my PBI file but again the incorrect values are being returned.

My date dimension table and invoice received date have a relationship between them. Is this potentially why?

EDIT:

Here is what my actual table looks like (sensitive data redacted):

Tomhayw_0-1669296411562.png

And this is the relationship with date dimension table:

Tomhayw_1-1669296463949.png

Note that the relationship joins invoice received date to the date dimension.

I hope this provides greater clarity

Hi @Tomhayw ,

Please remove the relationship between your fact table and Datedim table, and check if you can get the correct result. If no, please provide more raw data in your tables (exclude sensitive data) with Text format and your expected result with backend logic and special examples. It is better if you can share a simplified pbix file without sensitive info. You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community. Thank you.

Best Regards

Hi thanks,

This seems to have worked but I really need a relationship between the date and fact table as I am undertaking other analysis on this dataset. Is there a way I can incorporate both?

Thanks.

Hi @Tomhayw ,

You can consider to create another date dimension table and don't create any relationship with your fact table. And apply the date field onto your visual to replace the original date field...

If it still not working, could you please share a simplified pbix file with me? You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community. Thank you.

Best Regards

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Tomhayw , Last 30 without a date selection

example measure  =
var _max = maxx(allselected(date),date[date]) // or today()
var _min = _max -30
return
CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),filter(date, date[date] <=_max && date[date] >=_min))

but you want select a date an then want last 30 , then you need slicer on an independent date table

//Date1 is independent Date table, Date is joined with Table
new measure =
var _max = maxx(allselected(Date1),Date1[Date])
var _min = _max -30
return
calculate( sum(Table[Value]), filter('Date', 'Date'[Date] >=_min && 'Date'[Date] <=_max))

Hi,

I tried your measure based on your guidance:

23 11 test measure =
var _max = maxx(ALLSELECTED(DateDim),DateDim[Date])
var _min = _max - 30
RETURN
CALCULATE(count('Xero Merger w/ clockify and order dates'[Combined Project Names]),FILTER('Xero Merger w/ clockify and order dates', 'Xero Merger w/ clockify and order dates'[earliest invoice date] <= _max && 'Xero Merger w/ clockify and order dates'[earliest invoice date] >=_min))

But it doesn't return anything on a line graph:
Tomhayw_0-1669221954405.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.