Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akbar
Frequent Visitor

Measures work for Calendar Year but not Academic Year

Hi,

Thanks for anyone that takes the time to read this, apologies it's long. First time posting. I am new to Power BI. I am creating a report which will show the number of orders of a product per quarter. I have date fields (year, quarter) a count of a field (to show the number of orders), a field for Previous Year, YTD, YTD this time last year, Bgt, F'cst. Bgt and F'cst are imported in via CSV files while most others are measures.  The issue I am having is;

The report needs to use academic quarters and year, where Sep-Nov30 =Q1    Dec-Feb=Q2    Mar-May31=Q3    Jun-Aug31=Q4.

Where Sep-Nov 2017 = Q1-2018,  Dec2017-Feb2018 = Q2-2018,   Mar2018-May2018= Q3-2018,   Jun2018-Aug2018=Q4-2018

Term: Sep-Feb (end of)  = H1      Mar-Aug = H2

I created a date table which is linked to the main table based on order date, and defined the academic date fields using DAX;

My date table is called calendar (only realized late on that I spelt it wrong ha)

Term = IF(Calandar[Month Number]>2 && Calandar[Month Number]<9, "H2", "H1")

Academic Quarter = IF(Calandar[Month Number]>=9 && Calandar[Month Number]<=11, "Q1", IF(Calandar[Month Number]>=12 || Calandar[Month Number]<=2, "Q2", IF(Calandar[Month Number]>=3 && Calandar[Month Number]<=5, "Q3", "Q4")))

Academic Year = if(Calandar[Month Number]>8, Calandar[Year]+1, Calandar[Year])

Academic Qtr Yr= Calandar[Academic Quarter] & "-" & Calandar[Academic Year]

Problem I have is that my measures only work based on the calandar year not for the defined Academic Year.

Is there any way around this?

I also cannot get YTD This Time Last Year working (regardless of calendar date or academic date).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @akbar,

The simple way is add academic year columns to calendar table as reference.
You can take a look at below link to know more about how to deal with fiscal year or other similar unreal date range.

DAX Formulas for Fiscal Year, Fiscal Quarter and Month Short Name

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.