Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

himanshu47

Measures deleted when I change data source in my tables

Hi,

I have a Power BI desktop report which has twenty-five data tables (imported as a direct query from Azure SQL) and many measures created.
In a recent requirement, I had to limit the data coming in these tables.
I created views in SQL and thought about importing them as a direct query.
So, the logical thing to do was to change the data source in the Applied Steps of each table, which I did.
Now the new data in the tables have loaded successfully, but for some reason, the measures that were created in the report are no longer visible in Fields. I have used these measures in multiple visuals and these visuals are now broken. There's an option to fix the visuals known as 'Fix This' but it just deleted the measure from the values or the filters of that visual.
So, do I have to now create all these measures once again?
Is there a way to change the data source without affecting the measures?

Note: The data columns in the new source are the same as the previous source. However, the credentials used for the new data source are different from the previous one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
himanshu47

Hi Jay, 
Thanks for your reply.
The issue has been resolved now.
Earlier I was changing the credentials in the Data Source settings and then changing the data source in the tables.
Post that when I applied the changes the measures related to all the tables would disappear.
But now I changed the data source before changing the credentials, which kept the measures in the tables as they were.

So, yeah that worked out great for me.

Regards,
Himanshu

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
himanshu47

Hi Jay, 
Thanks for your reply.
The issue has been resolved now.
Earlier I was changing the credentials in the Data Source settings and then changing the data source in the tables.
Post that when I applied the changes the measures related to all the tables would disappear.
But now I changed the data source before changing the credentials, which kept the measures in the tables as they were.

So, yeah that worked out great for me.

Regards,
Himanshu

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @himanshu47 ,

Do you mean that when you reload the table, the measures previously created under this table are gone?

Maybe you could try putting all the measures under a table that won't reload.

Please share more details if I misunderstood what you mean.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.