Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CPNLddl
Frequent Visitor

Measures and numbers can't be used in IF formula anymore it seems

Hi, 

I really hope you can help me. I've written some calculated columns with IF statements. These all worked, but now that I want to adjust my formula, the old one doesn't even work anymore.

This happens in IF statements where the logical test is to define values. 

I tried creating a new IF formula to see what goes wrong, and the following happens;

I can't use numbers in the logical test part anymore. I've checked that the column that I'm referring to is a number, but when I write

=IF([Number of received emails]>10,">10","Other")

[number of received emails] is a measure

Power BI doesn't recognize this as a logical test anymore, I can only use text values in the logical test. This wasn't the case before, does anyone know why this happens?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, Thanks!

I will use this formula, that looks good 🙂

I found out what the problem was: my language settings weren't English, which caused Power BI to not recognize the formula. Really appreciate the fast replies, super nice, thank you again!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@CPNLddl

I was not able to replicate the problem you are running into but let me know if I missed something.

Tables of data that has a count of emails.

logic_emails.JPG

A measure to sum the # of emails

# Emails = SUM(Emails[emails])

The data table is joined to my users table and I was able to apply the logic in the Check column.

logic_users.JPG

This is what youare trying to do, yes? 

Yes, exactly!

And in your example it works, but in my version it doesn't..

I've also opened a new Power BI document, and loaded data with a column 'employees national', this field type is whole number. And then also the IF statement doesn't recognize the logical test.

The IF statement only works when I put text in the logical test while I need to use functions for numbers. 

Here's the whole formula:

Range received formula doesn't work.PNG

And here's an example of what happens when I try to use the IF statement with numbers/values:

emp nat.pngEmployees national.pngin the description the 'ResultIfTrue should now be bold, but it's not. If I replace >100 for ="100" the formula is recognized, but that's not correct, nor what I need.

can you help? 🙂

You need a space between your check and the && so instead of

if([Sum Received Organixation])>0&&

if([Sum Received Organixation])>0 &&

You can also invert your formula to make it easier, start from the top end and work down, that way you don't need to use &&

Range Received = 

IF ([Sum Received Organisation] > 300 , "f. +300",

IF ([Sum Received Organisation] > 200 , "e. 201-300",

IF ([Sum Received Organisation] > 100 , "d. 101-200",

IF ([Sum Received Organisation] > 50 , "c. 51-100",

IF ([Sum Received Organisation] > 10 , "b 11-50",

IF ([Sum Received Organisation] > 0 , "a 1-10",

IF ([Sum Received Organisation] = 0 , "0" , "Error" )))))))

Hi, Thanks!

I will use this formula, that looks good 🙂

I found out what the problem was: my language settings weren't English, which caused Power BI to not recognize the formula. Really appreciate the fast replies, super nice, thank you again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.