Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Measures Count Blanks and Interaction Table Visual

Hi, 

I am making a visual related to data quality. I have multiple measurs that count how often a certain value is empty. These measures are calculated as follows:

Empty_column_name = COUNTBLANK('column_name')

I have multiple of these measures which I display in a donut chart. Below  that chart I have a table with different id numbers and some other details. What i want is to be able to click on the variable with for example 10 empty values and then see in the below table which records this considers. However, I cannot get this to interact properly... Any suggestions?

Even if incorporate the measure in the table (as I read in another post here) this does not help as i use multiple measures counting blank values. Any one has a suggestions on how to solve this? I am also open to approach this differently. The purpose is to see which colums/variables contain a lot of empty values and then by clicking on that part of the graph to see which records exactly this concerns so this can be checked.  I also thought about creating calculated columns instead but also this does not work. The only thing that does seem to work if i put the whole column in a grahp and then filter the visuals on empty. However this i can only do if the column at this moment contains empty values and does not work when i want combine multiple colums with each different emty rows.

Really curious what I am missing/doing wrong here. Also do not quite understand why it does not work even if i drag the measures in the table.. Thanks for the help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

v-lionel-msft_0-1602662998042.png

Please do like this.

1. Replace the 'null' value with '0' in 'Edit Query'.

v-lionel-msft_1-1602663207579.png

2. Unpivot columns 'Variable2', 'Variable3', 'Variable4'.

v-lionel-msft_2-1602663232772.png

3.Create a measure.

Please refer to my .pbix file.

Note: There must be an ‘Attribute’ column in the table visual, otherwise the interaction between the two visuals can not be completed.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

v-lionel-msft_0-1602036316680.png

Is this the problem you encountered?
According to statistics, ID 1 has 10 blank records, but only 1 row is displayed in the table visual.

If yes, please add an index column in 'Edit Query'.

v-lionel-msft_1-1602036561839.png

If not, please post your sample data.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Not exactly, what I mean is  the following:

examples dashboard.png

Here the donut chart displays three measures calculated as "Variable 2 empty = COUNTBLANK(Sheet1[Variable 2])".

I want to then check what are the ids of these 4 records who have a blank field on variable 2. So I want click on that part of the donut chart and then in the table below only see the 4 ids for which variable 2 is empty.  Likewise for the other measures if selected in the donut chart.

Adding the measure itself to the table does not solve the issues as there are different "empty" measures I am using.

Sample Data:

IDVariable 2Variable 3Variable 4
1123aax 
4135 x78
1334bb 36
4562 y87
4567 x 
8901 y 

Thanks all for trying to help.

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Can you share some sample data and the expected result to have a clear understanding of your question?
You can save your files in OneDrive, Google Drive, or any other cloud sharing platforms and share the link here.

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube, LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, yes i replied to the message below with a better example and sample data!

Hi @Anonymous ,

v-lionel-msft_0-1602662998042.png

Please do like this.

1. Replace the 'null' value with '0' in 'Edit Query'.

v-lionel-msft_1-1602663207579.png

2. Unpivot columns 'Variable2', 'Variable3', 'Variable4'.

v-lionel-msft_2-1602663232772.png

3.Create a measure.

Please refer to my .pbix file.

Note: There must be an ‘Attribute’ column in the table visual, otherwise the interaction between the two visuals can not be completed.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.