Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

modelmike
Frequent Visitor

Measure with conditional date to blend YTD actuals and YTG forecast

Total noob so bear with me 🙂

I have a union table, Volume_Weeks, structured like this.

6-8-2018 11-47-46 AM.png

Inside the type column, I have three categories actual, forecast, and budget.

I wish to create a measure that combines YTD actuals with YTG forecast. I understand this would be very easy if my data was not in a flat union table (i.e. separate columns for actuals + forecast) because I could use a simple calculated column. However, I'm relucant to to adjust the data model so I would like to accomplish this with a measure. 

I'm trying the following but I receive an error:

LE_FY = 
    var actualVol = CALCULATE(SUM(Volume_Weeks[value]),Volume_Weeks[type]="actual")
    var LEVol = CALCULATE(SUM(Volume_Weeks[value]),Volume_Weeks[type]="LE")
    var LE_FY_Vol = IF(Volume_Weeks[Week_Num] < WEEKNUM(TODAY()),              
        actualVol ,
        LEVol)
Return LE_FY_Vol

Error:

A single value for column 'Week_Num' in table 'Volume_Weeks' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum [...]

I don't know enough about measures yet to understand how/if this can be resolved. Assistance is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
popov
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi, @modelmike

In your IF statemet you should be use this - MAX(Volume_Weeks[Week_Num]) < WEEKNUM(TODAY())

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
popov
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi, @modelmike

In your IF statemet you should be use this - MAX(Volume_Weeks[Week_Num]) < WEEKNUM(TODAY())

Hi, @popov 

You solved it! Thank you. If you have some time, can you explain how this formula works? the MAX function is confusing to me because the MAX value in [Week_Num] is 52 (of course). So is the MAX function evaluating the MAX(Week_Num) for each row-combination in the table?

Hello, @modelmike

MAX(Week_Num) evaluated for filter context, not for each row. When you start to use your measure in report, generate filter context and MAX(Week_Num) evaluating on currently visible rows of table.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.