Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Measure with FILTER on [Date]

Hi all. I'm using the Timeline by Queryon visual to show the contents of a month-long course. I'd like to replace the Date field (under Date/Time in first screenshot), which includes weekends and holidays for ease of use by the authors of the source data, with a measure that only shows Dates that have a corresponding Class # (see 2nd screenshot), basically eliminating days with no class. Can't get my head around how to use FILTER and/or a conditional. Any advice out there?

calendar_question_1.PNG

calendar_question_2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Try the following measure:

Class=if(max('Curriculum'[Class #])=blank(),"no class",max('Curriculum'[Class #]))

If this could not solve your questions,could you pls share your pbix file?Remember to remove confident data.

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Try the following measure:

Class=if(max('Curriculum'[Class #])=blank(),"no class",max('Curriculum'[Class #]))

If this could not solve your questions,could you pls share your pbix file?Remember to remove confident data.

Best Regards

Lucien

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-luwang-msft ! Yes, this works. I can't get my head around why MAX is the answer, but it definitely is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @amitchandak.
I want a permanent solution and I think a visual level filter is impermanent, right? I'm a newbie, so possibly very wrong.
I tried this...

ClassDates = FILTER('Curriculum'[Date], RELATED(NOT(ISBLANK('Curriculum'[Class #]))))
But it returns the error "A single value for column 'Date' in table 'Curriculum' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result."
Which makes sense.
Maybe what I need is a dynamic table?
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , add a visual level filter class is not blank

or add that to measure filter not(isblank(Table[Class]))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again @amitchandak . While the measure didn't work for me (could be user error), the visual level filter does seem to be a totally valid solution and would have sufficed if @v-luwang-msft hadn't provided another option. Much appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.