Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pammy2411
Frequent Visitor

Measure using different data within one column

Hi,

I currently have my data structured in the following manner:

Capture.PNG

I am having trouble calculating within one column. For example, in my column KPI i have:

Product 1 Revenue

Product 2 Revenue

I am trying to calculate the Revenue Mix: Product 1 Revenue/ (Product 1 Revenue+Product 2 Revenue). Is there any way to create a measure that calculates this?

I tried to use the If function for KPI, in order to filter out the value, however, since the same KPI appears more than once in the table it tells me that I need one unique value. However, there is no way i can Sum (or any calculation of the sort) a string.

Thank you,

Pamela

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PowerDAX
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi Pamela - you have a couple of options here.

1. When importing the data to Power BI, you could 'pivot' the data to make each KPI a column.  This is not best practice if there are multiple KPI(s) to calculate.  This is due to an increase in the number of columns and an increase in cardinality in values - thus higher memory consumption and slower calculations.  If you didn't have very many KPI(s) and not a bunch of rows, you would pivot the data and sum the columns as your calculation - i.e. Revenue - Product 1 = SUM( [Product 1 Revenue]), Revenue - Product 2 = SUM( [Product 2 Revenue]) with and end result measure of Revenue Mix = DIVIDE( [Revenue - Product 1], [Revenue - Product 1] + [Revenue - Product 2], 0)

2. When your values are in rows vs columns, you have to use a CALCULATE function.  For this calculation in particular, you could

a) create measures for each KPI - i.e. Revenue - Product 1 = CALCULATE( SUM( [Value]), [KPI] = "Product 1 Revenue"), Revenue - Product 2 = CALCULATE( SUM( [Value]), [KPI] = "Product 2 Revenue") - if those are required to be viewed individually - and an end result measure - i.e. Revenue Mix = DIVIDE( [Revenue - Product 1], [Revenue - Product 1] + [Revenue - Product 2], 0)

b) create your end result measure w/o intermediate measures - i.e. Revenue Mix = DIVIDE( CALCULATE( SUM( [Value]), [KPI] = "Product 1 Revenue"), CALCULATE( SUM( [Value]), [KPI] = "Product 1 Revenue" || [KPI] = "Product 2 Revenue"), 0)

powerdax.com

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PowerDAX
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi Pamela - you have a couple of options here.

1. When importing the data to Power BI, you could 'pivot' the data to make each KPI a column.  This is not best practice if there are multiple KPI(s) to calculate.  This is due to an increase in the number of columns and an increase in cardinality in values - thus higher memory consumption and slower calculations.  If you didn't have very many KPI(s) and not a bunch of rows, you would pivot the data and sum the columns as your calculation - i.e. Revenue - Product 1 = SUM( [Product 1 Revenue]), Revenue - Product 2 = SUM( [Product 2 Revenue]) with and end result measure of Revenue Mix = DIVIDE( [Revenue - Product 1], [Revenue - Product 1] + [Revenue - Product 2], 0)

2. When your values are in rows vs columns, you have to use a CALCULATE function.  For this calculation in particular, you could

a) create measures for each KPI - i.e. Revenue - Product 1 = CALCULATE( SUM( [Value]), [KPI] = "Product 1 Revenue"), Revenue - Product 2 = CALCULATE( SUM( [Value]), [KPI] = "Product 2 Revenue") - if those are required to be viewed individually - and an end result measure - i.e. Revenue Mix = DIVIDE( [Revenue - Product 1], [Revenue - Product 1] + [Revenue - Product 2], 0)

b) create your end result measure w/o intermediate measures - i.e. Revenue Mix = DIVIDE( CALCULATE( SUM( [Value]), [KPI] = "Product 1 Revenue"), CALCULATE( SUM( [Value]), [KPI] = "Product 1 Revenue" || [KPI] = "Product 2 Revenue"), 0)

powerdax.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.