Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CallumMurfet
Helper II
Helper II

Measure totals not summing properly

power bi help image.png

Hello I need help, where my measure is not summing properly.

Here I have employment by industry code. I have a measure for employment in a particular segment of the industry, as well as the total employment in the industry.

I have the % of employment in segment as the total and then apply this to another employment figure. To derive a final employment estimate titled new employment * employment share.

However my measure at 184.3k does not sum correctly. It should sum all of those in the last column which is around 2.3m. The issue is that its making the calculation on the totals rather than the values in the columns.

I don’t know if this requires me to put in sumx somewhere. I appreciate any of your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Interesting because it looks like the measurement is correct on the visible rows, no?

This is an example: 

AminAlian_2-1656674668587.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AminAlian
Frequent Visitor

Hello @CallumMurfet !

You are correct in thinking you have to use a SUMX.

Try adding a 

Measure = SUMX('Table', [new employment] * [employment share] )

as sumx calculates each row

that didnt seem to work, but made the measure total much larger. 

second power bi image.PNG

Interesting because it looks like the measurement is correct on the visible rows, no?

This is an example: 

AminAlian_2-1656674668587.png

actually that worked, its because i was putting sum( within the sumx, when i didnt need to, many thanks!

I think see the issue in that its now summing the employment % shares first and then applying that to the sum of new employment. , which is then increasing the value to 26m

Yes the visible rows are there, but it seems to be summing other values which dont appear in the column in the table, but make up the total.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.