cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
saschatt
Frequent Visitor

Measure to count distinct number of ids where two other measure are not equal

I have a history table with that pulls a view of a database at the beginning of every month and assigns a date to the rows associated with that pull (I made a brief summary below, there are many more fields in the table)

productId                Status                         ViewDate

1                         active                          5/1/2019

1                         active                          6/1/2019

1                         inactive                       7/1/2019

2                         active                          5/1/2019

2                         hold                            6/1/2019

2                         hold                            7/1/2019

I have two slicers linked to disconnected tables that each contain distinct values from the viewdate field (ViewDateStart and ViewDateEnd)

And the following two measures to pull the starting status and the ending status for each product based on user selection:

statusStart = CALCULATE(MAX(table[status],

FILTER(table, table[ViewDate]=SELECTEDVALUE(ViewDateStart[ViewDate])

statusEnd = CALCULATE(MAX(table[status],

FILTER(table, table[ViewDate]=SELECTEDVALUE(ViewDateEnd[ViewDate])

When I place the measures above in a table with the products as the dimension I get the correct starting and ending status for each product based on slicer selections

I need to create a measure that calculates the number of distinct products where statusStart <> statusEnd

I have tried the following but I think I am missing a grouping step as this is flagging every product ID not just those with status changes based on slicer selections

StatusChangeCount = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(table[productId]), FILTER(table, [statusStart] <> [statusEnd]))

Is there a way to do this in Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Measure to count distinct number of ids where two other measure are not equal

hi, @saschatt 

You may try this way:

Add a measure like this:

measure = IF([statusStart]<>[statusEnd],1,0)

Then SUM this measure value by group.

Combine these two steps by this formula

changecounta = SUMX(SUMMARIZE('table','table'[productId]) , IF([statusStart]<>[statusEnd],1,0) )

If you have problem for the measure total, please refer to these two posts:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

And if not your problem, please share your sample pbix file and expected output.

Best Regards,

lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Measure to count distinct number of ids where two other measure are not equal

hi, @saschatt 

You may try this way:

Add a measure like this:

measure = IF([statusStart]<>[statusEnd],1,0)

Then SUM this measure value by group.

Combine these two steps by this formula

changecounta = SUMX(SUMMARIZE('table','table'[productId]) , IF([statusStart]<>[statusEnd],1,0) )

If you have problem for the measure total, please refer to these two posts:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

And if not your problem, please share your sample pbix file and expected output.

Best Regards,

lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors