Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Measure to calculate dot product between vector of words

The Objectives : I have a table that contains document words analysis (tf-idf) . Basically in this table for each document i have a list of words and each word has a numerical value that represents its importance in the document compare to the others.

I have also a search text field  (Smart Filter by OKVIZ) in which you can select several words (based on word column).

i'd like to calculate (using a measure as input in the search filter are dynamic) the cosinus similarity between my search request (vector request)  and each document (vector 1 to n)  to order the search result by relevance .

The Cosinus similarity indeed helps you to determine the "angle" between the vector request and each vector document . The closer to 1 the cosinus is the more the document match your search request. see formula after table description.

Table DOC ANALYSIS  

DocumentIDWordValue
Doc1PHP0.01
Doc1SQL0.02
Doc1MANAGER0.05
Doc2JAVA0.03
Doc2SQL0.2
Doc2PHP0.7
Doc2EXCEL0.03
Doc2WORD0.03
Doc2POWERPOINT0.03
Doc3PHP0.05
Doc3SQL0.03
Doc3MANAGER0.05

Search Filter looks like this  : 

search filter.jpg 

so that document request  representation should looks  like 

requestMANAGER0.5
requestPHP0.5

Cosinus similariry formula  : cosinus formula.jpg

So for similiarity between Request vector (call it a)  and vector Doc 1 (call it b )we have 

a1(manager) =  0.5, a2(php)  = 0.5,   b1(manager) = 0.03,  b2(php) = 0.01 b3(sql) = 0.02

Cos (Request and Doc1) = 0.5*0.03 + 0.5*0.01

--------------------------------------------------

Sqrt (0,5²+0.5²) * Sqrt(0.03² + 0.01²+ 0.02²)

and we have to calculate also Cos (Request and Doc2) .... then for each Cos calculated order them from the greatest to the lowest to have first the "best" matching result....

I really appreciate any help as i absoluletly have no idea on how to write this Cos measure .

Thanks a lot

2 REPLIES 2
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @renaudstaessens 

Try OCS DAX function

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/cos-function-dax

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

@Mariusz Hi mariuusz the issue is not the standard cos function in DAX the problem is how to implement the function i gave the formula using measure in DAX with that data table structure ...i tried for 2 days now to find a solution but really stuck

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors