Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RobotMoses
Frequent Visitor

Measure returning error in visual

I have a measure that restricts a list based on other lists of attributes. When i restrict by list9 the measure returns an error, so i looked at how list9 is constructed, when i replace the 2 variables (upper/lower bounds) that define which items are a part of list9 with abitrary constants the error disappears. This is not a solution it just gives insight to how the problem is caused.

What i would like to know at this stage is whether anybody knows what this error means or whether there is somewhere i can read about this:
An unexpected error occured (file 'xlrellogop.cpp', line 3127, function 'XLLogOp_SPJ<class XLScaLogOp>::ExecSpool').

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would turn on Tracing (File | Options and Settings | Options | Diagnostics | Tracing), generate the error and see if you get anything more meaningful from the Trace log.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I followed your advice and enabled tracing, i then proceeded to refresh the page so the visual would try to refresh and hopefully return a meaningful error. I examined the trace file but could not see anything obvious that would constitute an error message. An example of an entry that roughly correlates by time (accurate to seconds) is:

DataMashup.Trace Information: 24579 : {"Start":"2017-02-14T13:29:06.7595288Z","Action":"UISettingsStorage/GetSettings","MetadataSet":[["ShowStartPageForDataInsightsSummit2016","0"],["showStartPage","1"],["MultiArtifactEditorWindowScale_Left","-1911"],["MultiArtifactEditorWindowScale_Top","16"],["MultiArtifactEditorWindowScale_Width","1720"],["MultiArtifactEditorWindowScale_Height","871"],["MultiArtifactEditorWindowScale_Maximized","0"],["multiArtifactEditorRibbonQat",444],["FileHistory",10565],["FormulaBuilderHistory",18157],["DisplayCommandBar","0"],["EditorTaskPaneWidth","266"],["ViewFormulaWindowScale_Left","448"],["ViewFormulaWindowScale_Top","192"],["ViewFormulaWindowScale_Width","1024"],["ViewFormulaWindowScale_Height","656"],["ViewFormulaWindowScale_Maximized","0"],["QueriesEditorWindowScale_Left","1962"],["QueriesEditorWindowScale_Top","89"],["QueriesEditorWindowScale_Width","1736"],["QueriesEditorWindowScale_Height","856"],["QueriesEditorWindowScale_Maximized","0"],["multiArtifactQueriesEditorRibbonQat",326],["DisplayQuerySettingsPane","1"],["MaxCacheSize","4294967296"],["ShowImportCustomVisualSecurityWarningDialog","1"],["DisableNativeDbQueries","0"],["DisableUpdateNotification","0"],["AutoRecoveryFileLocation",67],["PowerBIServiceFileHistory",2],["SSRSFileHistory",2],["LastKnownPBICloudConfig",2234],["DisplayFormulaBar","0"],["UseFixedWidthFont","0"],["AlwaysAllowParameterization","0"],["WebPreviewWarningLevel","0"],["ShowGridlines","0"],["SnapToGrid","0"]],"ProductVersion":"2.43.4647.541 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000","Process":"PBIDesktop","Pid":8532,"Tid":26,"Duration":"00:00:00.0001179"}

I don't feel closer to understanding this. I spoke with a DAX expert (in my view, and shall be anonymous) and his initial reaction was that my logic was sound and that this could be an engine error. I should add that my code works in SSMS when i EVALUATE it in an MDX query window against my cube.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.