Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

minerito
Frequent Visitor

Measure of Maximum over last months

Hi everyone,
I just came up with the issue I am not skilled enough to solve 😉 It mainly involves making two nested calculations which I cannot deal with.

Let's say I have dataset with structure similar to following (ItemID, Date (sorry for my locale), Category)image.png

What I need is to create a measure that would:

- count distinct ItemIDS in given month

- return maximum value of monthly count over last 2 months.

- it should be measure, as I want to include slicer with category (and many more categoric columns) so it could be dynamic.

I want to achieve following results in visuals (here an example without including any slicer or filter):

I have tried following:

Measure1 = MAXX(FILTER(Table; DATESINPERIOD ( Table[Date]; MAX( Table[Date] );-2; MONTH)); DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[ItemID]))

But it does not work.

Do you happen to know any trick?

Cheers,

M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @minerito

Please try to create the below measure:

Measure =
VAR a =
    MAX ( 'Table'[Date] )
VAR b =
    SUMMARIZE (
        FILTER (
            ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ),
            'Table'[Date]
                >= DATE ( YEAR ( a ), MONTH ( a ) - 1, 1 )
                && 'Table'[Date]
                    <= DATE ( YEAR ( a ), MONTH ( a ) + 1, 1 )
        ),
        'Table'[Date],
        "CountOfItems", DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Table'[ItemID] )
    )
VAR c =
    MAXX ( b, [CountOfItems] )
RETURN
    c

maxinum value.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Try like

Measure1 = MAXX(FILTER(values(Table[Date]); DATESINPERIOD ( Table[Date]; MAX( Table[Date] );-2; MONTH)); DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[ItemID]))
//OR
Measure1 = calculate(MAXX(FILTER(Table; DATESINPERIOD ( Table[Date]; MAX( Table[Date] );-2; MONTH)); DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[ItemID])),values(Table[Date]))

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution.
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

Thanks. My Recent Blogs -Decoding Direct Query - Time Intelligence, Winner Coloring on MAP, HR Analytics, Power BI Working with Non-Standard TimeAnd Comparing Data Across Date Ranges
Connect on Linkedin

Hi,
Thanks for help - unfortunately neither of them works. The first one dragged into vidual yields in 'can't display the visual', the second one is the same...

Hi @minerito

Please try to create the below measure:

Measure =
VAR a =
    MAX ( 'Table'[Date] )
VAR b =
    SUMMARIZE (
        FILTER (
            ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ),
            'Table'[Date]
                >= DATE ( YEAR ( a ), MONTH ( a ) - 1, 1 )
                && 'Table'[Date]
                    <= DATE ( YEAR ( a ), MONTH ( a ) + 1, 1 )
        ),
        'Table'[Date],
        "CountOfItems", DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Table'[ItemID] )
    )
VAR c =
    MAXX ( b, [CountOfItems] )
RETURN
    c

maxinum value.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
leahYan
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi Menerito, I am not sure if this link would be helpful for you https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/FILTER-vs-CALCULATETABLE/td-p/197093

I have a similar problem to you, but I need a column to return the value in last month of every single product. (FOR EXAMPLE, I need to return value from a [sale] column)I tried this and it doesn't work

lastmonth_sale = CALCULATE('table'[sale],FILTER(ALL('table'[sale],'table'[date] = PREVIOUSDAY(table'[date])))

or 

lastmonth_sale = CALCULATE('table'[sale],FILTER(ALL('table'[sale],'table'[date] = EARLIER(table'[date],1)))

If anyone can help here?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.