cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maracles Resolver II
Resolver II

Measure naming conventions

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a generally agreed naming convention for measures? I have been quite inconsistent with my naming and I want to know go through and update them all using a convention that I can also use going forward.

My problem so far is striking a balance between something being human readable whilst simultanesouly giving me enough information to understand what is being measured without looking at the DAX. I would love if Power BI would allow you to have a measure name for internal use (i.e. when working in Power BI Desktop) and then a friendlier name which can be listed for users accessing via Power BI service.

It would be interesting to hear what other people are doing...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User I
Super User I

Re: Measure naming conventions

There isn't really an industry standard that I've ever seen, but you can fake the internal name/end user name functionality. Define your internal use measure, then define a second measure that simply points at the first.

measureWithNamingConvention = CALCULATE(SUM(blah blah blah), FILTER(whatever, you get the idea))

Friendly End User Measure = [measureWithNamingConvention]

If you're sharing content packs, I believe you can also hide measureWithNamingConvention (right click, hide) so the end users only see the friendly version when they go to customize their own thing. I haven't played with the hide functionality much though, so somebody else feel free to chip in here.

Did I answer your question? Please mark it as a solution.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User I
Super User I

Re: Measure naming conventions

There isn't really an industry standard that I've ever seen, but you can fake the internal name/end user name functionality. Define your internal use measure, then define a second measure that simply points at the first.

measureWithNamingConvention = CALCULATE(SUM(blah blah blah), FILTER(whatever, you get the idea))

Friendly End User Measure = [measureWithNamingConvention]

If you're sharing content packs, I believe you can also hide measureWithNamingConvention (right click, hide) so the end users only see the friendly version when they go to customize their own thing. I haven't played with the hide functionality much though, so somebody else feel free to chip in here.

Did I answer your question? Please mark it as a solution.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors