Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dileep316
Regular Visitor

Measure in percentage format showing as decimal in line chart

Hi
I have a measure that is in percentage format (in data source - SSAS cube).
The measure shows as a % in a table and card in PBI Desktop (have'nt modified the data format).

But when I plot it on a line chart, it converts to a decimal type format.
The line chart was showing as a % upto a couple of days ago (around 18/02/20) but then switched to the decimal type format.
I have updated to the latest version of PBI Desktop, refreshed the data source, tried to re-create the line chart but it hasn't worked.
Hoping someone can help with this.
Cheers
DileepLine chart.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@Dileep316  

Same issue we are also facing. In an alternate approach, we can define a new measure in Power BI desktop and refer SSAS measure inside that. Then change the format type in Power BI desktop. But this is not at all a good approach. 

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

We have the same issue but cannot create a new measure as we have a live connection to the cube.

Has anyone been able to solve this format issue with a live connection? It's incredibly frustrating and confusing for end users.

Hi henryf

The workaround I suggested should work, as I also have a live connection to the cube.

In PowerBI Desktop, create New Measure = (existing measure not showing as %). Then format New Measure as %.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Dileep316 ,

Are you using import mode? If you are, you can change the format with percentage in the "Modeling" section as below:

Capture.PNG 

But if the connection is in live mode, I'm afraid you should do data type modification on AS side because the feature is disabled(grey) in power bi desktop.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply. This is a live connection.

As shown by my screenshot, the measure is in percentage format in the cube. It shows in percentage format on a matrix and card. But for some reason, when the measure is used in a line chart, it becomes a float/decimal format.

@Dileep316 ,

Please update power bi desktop to the latest version.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi,

In Microsoft Store, it shows I have Version 2.78.5745.0 but in PowerBI it shows Version: 2.78.5740.861 64-bit (February 2020).

I know there is an easy fix for this ie - New measure = (measure not showing in %) and change to format %, which is what I have done as a workaround. 

I prefer not to create measures within PowerBI Desktop, when it can be done within the SSAS cube.

rajendraongole1
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

in line chart if you are selecting the values just right click the field and you can able to see the option show values as " percent to grand total"

you can able to get the percentage in Y-axis adjustments in y axis in formating tab.

Check and let know.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.