Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cesarowicz
Frequent Visitor

Measure for Sum of Top N items per category

I have a table of student assessment data as follows:

image.png

I need to calculate the sum of each students top 2 Scores where Category = 'Core'

It needs to be a measure rather than a calculated column because the I need to filter and group by different combinations of Assessment.

My thinking is that for each row in the table I need to generate a nested calculated table of that student's 'Core' scores, apply a top N to it, and then return the score if the id of the current row matches either of those returned by the inner table. But I can't work out how to express this in a DAX formula.

I started with this formula, which returns the just the top 1 'Core' score per student, though it fails where there are the student has three matching 'Core' results and I can't see how to overcome this (or make it work for the top 2) without using a TOPN/CALCULATETABLE somewhere.

CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Results[Score] ),
    FILTER (
        ALLEXCEPT ( Results, Results[Assessment] ),
        SUMX (
            FILTER (
                Results,
                Results[Category] = "Core"
                    && Results[Category] = EARLIER ( Results[Category] )
                    && Results[Student] = EARLIER ( Results[Student] )
                    && (
                        ( Results[Score] < EARLIER ( Results[Score] ) )
                            || (
                                (
                                    Results[Score] = EARLIER ( Results[Score] )
                                        && Results[Result_ID] < EARLIER ( Results[Result_ID] )
                                )
                            )
                    )
            ),
            Results[Score]
        )
    )
)

Ideally for performance/size reasons I'd like to get rid of the Result Id column as well as I only added it to try and crack this formula.

Any ideas? 
4 REPLIES 4
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@cesarowicz

In this scenario, if you want to get the top 2 scores context without using TOPN, you need to use RANKX() to filter top 2 context.

You can create a rank measure like below:

Score Rank = RANKX (
    ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[Student], Table[Assessment], Table[Category] ),
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Score] ), FILTER ( Table, Table[Category] = "Core" ) ),
    DESC,
    DENSE
)

Then you can create a measure to calculate the top 2 scores based on above rank:

Top 2 Scores =
CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Score] ), FILTER ( Table, [Score Rank] <= 2 ) )

Regards,

Hi Simon

Thanks for looking at this.

The Top 2 Scores measure just seems to be returning all the scores, however?

2017-06-22_220541.jpg

Should I be inserting it into my original formula somewhere rather than using it as a standalone measure?

OK, here's another attempt at trying to get my head round how to do this.

I've simplified things by just looking at the Result_ID so there's no need to do any additional ranking.

I can count the number or records with a lower Result_ID then the current iterated row of the outer FILTER, this formula just sums the total of those records. What I want to do is sum the score from the outer FILTER only where the count of the records in the inner FILTER is 2 or fewer.

CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Results[Score] ),
    FILTER (
        ALLEXCEPT ( Results, Results[Assessment], Results[Student] ),
        COUNTROWS (
            FILTER (
                Results,
                Results[Result_ID] > EARLIER ( Results[Result_ID] )
                    && Results[Category] = "Core"

I get that COUNTROWS in the formula above is just a placeholder but I really want to be able to say COUNTROWS[...] = 2 - there must be a way to do this somehow?

@cesarowicz Did you resolve it? I have the same problem that you, and i be able to resolve using measure too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.